Help setting up UD3900 with laptop and 2 monitors

Hi I am trying to set up my laptop with two monitors using the UD3900. Everything is working I am having issues with settings. I want the two external monitors to run different tasks is that duplicate or extend or something else. I would also prefer that the laptop stay closed and just use the two monitors. Is that possible?

Thank you
Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for contacting Plugable! I’m sorry to hear about the issues with getting the right settings, and I’d be happy to help with your questions.

Based on your description of wanting to run different tasks on each of the external displays, you’ll want to set them to “Extend”. This allows each monitor to work independently of one another. “Duplicate” would make it so each of the displays shows the same content as one another.

We have a video series on our Youtube channel going into detail about the different ways to configure/adjust the display settings in Windows. If you’re interested, you can find links to the videos here: https://kb.plugable.com/docking-stations-and-video/i-have-never-used-a-windows-laptop-or-desktop-with-more-than-one-monitor-before-do-you-have-any-videos-that-can-help-explain-how-to-configure-and-adjust-multiple-monitors-using-a-windows-system

You also asked “I would also prefer that the laptop stay closed and just use the two monitors. Is that possible?” I’m happy to say yes that is possible!

The default setting on most Windows computers is to put the computer to sleep when the laptop lid is closed. If that’s the case with your computer, you may need to change some settings to stop it from going to sleep when the lid is closed. There are different steps to do this depending on which operating system you are using. The full detailed steps for changing these settings in Windows 10 and Windows 11 are available in this Knowledge Base article: https://kb.plugable.com/question/720178

Please let me know if you have any further questions, and thank you for giving us the chance to assist!

Sam
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.