Help! How do I hook up the Plugable to my monitor?

Okay, I’m feeling quite clueless here. I just received my adapter, and I would like to hook up my VGA monitor to the USB port on my HP Envy. I have two questions:

1. It suggests that you should use a 3.0 USB port for better performance. I Googled how to determine if I have a 3.0 port, and apparently, at least one of my 6 USB ports in the back and/or the two ports on the side is 3.0 - or maybe all of them. I can’t make sense of the info in the Device Manager settings. There are 12 items listed in the USB Controller settings! How can I tell if they’re all 3.0, or just one, and if so, which one?

2. I am feeling especially clueless about how to get the VGA adapter into the Plugable controller. According to the pic on Amazon, it looks like you just push it in and tighten the screws. But it doesn’t appear to be that the holes and pins on the adapter and controller will line up without forcing them - or at least that’s what it feels like I’m doing when I try to push it in - and I’m afraid of breaking the pins. Is there a better pic with instructions on how to do this? Or perhaps a video (best of all)?

Thanks!

~Karen in St. Louis

Hello Karen,

Which display adapter did you order? Please take a look at our product list here -> http://plugable.com/products

To answer your questions:

1. If you want to use a USB 3.0 port on your laptop and need to identify them, please take a look at all your USB ports. The USB 3.0 ports are either labeled with an “SS” or are blue.

2. This goes back to my first question. Some display adapters include DVI to VGA adapters and you would need this adapter to go in between the VGA cable and display adapter (again, this depends on which display adapter you purchased).

Kind regards,
Patric
Plugable Technologies

Thanks for the quick response!

This is what I ordered:
Plugable USB 3.0 to VGA / DVI / HDMI Video Graphics Adapter for Multiple Monitors up to 2048x1152 / 1920x1080 (Supports Windows 10, 8.1, 7, XP)
by Plugable

I don’t have a laptop. It’s an HP Envy All-in-One desktop.

I am attaching a pic from the product page on Amazon. In the pic, it appears that the VGA adapter plus directly into the host controller, but it doesn’t look like it will fit.

I do not see any labels on any of my ports.

Thanks for your help! !](https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1265342/adapterpic_inline.jpg?1440617348)](https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1265342/adapterpic.jpg?1440617348)

Hi Karen,

OK, so you do not have any USB 3.0 ports, any- or the most convenient USB port will do.

If you are using the supplied DVI to VGA adapter it will fit. The trick is to have the pins and blade line up correctly. If you hold the adapter like shown in the above picture, the pins would be on the left side and the blade on the right.

Kind regards,
Patric
Plugable Technologies

Hi Patric - Sorry for the delay in getting back here. I had some other fires that snuck in and forced me to put my monitor issues on the back burner for a few days.

I was afraid to force the plug in, because it just didn’t appear that it wanted to fit. But after your last post, I got brave and did that - VERY CAREFULLY. And voila - it worked!

My second monitor is working PERFECTLY, and I’m a VERY HAPPY camper. Thanks so much for your very prompt and courteous and oh-so-helpful support. I appreciate it!

Hello Karen,

You are very welcome and I am happy to hear you are up and running.

Kind regards,
Patric
Plugable Technologies