Help choosing correct docking station for home office set-up

Hello, I’m hoping someone can help identify the docking station that would meet all of my criteria. I’ve been trying for a long time to work this out, and can’t crack the case!

A summary of criteria (see below for additional details) - I need a docking station that:

• supports 4k monitor
  • compatible with two Lenovo ThinkPad models: x1 Carbon 3rd Gen, and x260
  • charges laptops during use

Additional details:
Monitor: Dell UltraSharp 27 4K Monitor: U2718Q (inputs: HDMI, DisplayPort, Mini DisplayPort)

Laptops:
-Lenovo ThinkPad x1 Carbon 3rd Gen (outputs: 2 x USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort, HDMI, headphone/mic combo jack, LAN, OneLink connector, Lenovo ethernet extention connection, and power connector - I can’t find the name of this specific type of connector)
-Lenovo ThinkPad x260 (3 x USB 3.0, RJ45, Mini DisplayPort, HDMI, 4-in-1 card reader, 2.5 mm mic/headphone, and same type of power connector as x1 carbon)

Happy to provide more detail if needed. Thanks so much in advance, I really appreciate it!

Hi There,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us! I would be more than happy to answer your questions.

Based on the specifications of these two systems, we do not have a dock that is compatible on both, while also providing Power Delivery. The x260 does not have a USB-C USB 3.1 Gen 1 port, and only has USB 3.0. It is not possible to provide Power Delivery via USB 3.0.

We do have a dock that will allow you to connect a 4K display, and is compatible with both systems, but it does not support Power Delivery. It is called the UD-5900 and you can find more information about it here → https://plugable.com/products/ud-5900

The UD-5900 has An HDMI and a DVI port for connecting two external monitors and support for resolutions up to 3840×2160@30Hz* (HDMI only) and DVI / VGA up to 1920×1200 (DVI-to-VGA adapter also included). In order to output to 3840×2160@30Hz, only one display can be connected to the HDMI port on the dock. Once a second display is connected, the maximum resolution support is 1920 x 1200.

I hope this information helps, please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns, and I would be more than happy to assist.

Thank you,
Marc
Product Owner & Technical Support
www.plugable.com/support