HDMI works from laptop not Hub

I have an HP laptop. I can connect from the laptop to the TV (Visio E65-EO) via HDMI cable with no issues. When I Connect the HDMI cable to the Plugable USB-C 4K docking station it will not work. I do have 2 monitors connected via USB and the work.

Hello, thanks for posting and I’ll be happy to help.

Thank you for the description of the behavior you are seeing. Can you let us know the model of the laptop you are using?

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

pavillion brand new, about a month

Thanks for the reply. Would you be able to confirm if your HP Pavilion’s USB-C port supports video output? If unsure, can you let us know the specific version of Pavilion you are using? HP has an article here → https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108 that speaks to how to find the specific model. We’ll want to ensure that the system’s USB-C port supports video output as this is required for the HDMI port on our UD-ULTC4K to work and we can certainly examine the specifications online to determine if this is possible.

Also, can you let us know if charging is working?

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies

Yes, My other 2 monitors are working and they are connected to the Plugable via the USB-C.

I am not clear by what you mean by “if charging is working?”

The DisplayPort ports on the dock do not have the same technical requirements that the HDMI port on the dock does. These are based off of a USB graphics technology called DisplayLink which is able to work with most USB-C ports, even if they do not support video transfer. The HDMI port is based off of USB-C DisplayPort Alternate Mode technology and requires the host system’s USB-C port to support video output.

Regarding charging, our dock is also able to charge the battery of the laptop if the USB-C port supports USB-C Power Delivery. The reason I ask is to understand the scope of what may or may not be working and reference the manual of the HP Pavilion to see if those functions are supported.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies

HP Pavillion Laptop 15-cs0xxx
3TS79UA#ABA

USB-C does not power the laptop from the dock

Unfortunately, it appears the USB-C port on the laptop does not support video output or charging. HP’s specification page here → https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06030409 mentions “USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 1 (Data Transfer Only)” which explains why the DisplayPort ports are the only ones working for external displays and why power delivery is not working.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies