HDMI to VGA cable problem

I have a Dell Inspiron Laptop with Window 8.1 with HDMI output only. I also have an Acer 1265 projector but this has only got a VGA input.
Rather than go for some of the cheaper products advertised on Amazon, I opted to buy your ‘Plugable Active HDMI to VGA 6ft (1.8m) Converter Cable Supporting up to 1920 x 1080 (60Hz)’
Having connected everything up when I play, say a DVD, the picture is perfect but I am unable to get any sound either via the projector (which has limited output) or by using the speaker – out jack connection on my laptop.
With my old laptop I used a VGA to VGA cable to connect to the projector and was able to get sound using the speaker- out jack. It all worked perfectly.
The question is how do I get sound from my new set up? This is essential for me as some of the presentations that I give have associated sound output. Is there an adaptor available, that I can connect to either end of your cable that has an audio out port?
I bought your cable from Amazon (ORDER # 205-9917923-1625167) and have just been looking at their website again. I find that they are selling an HDMI to VGA Adapter with Audio Output. Maybe this is what I should have bought in the first place but I just assumed that this cable would act like the old VGA to VGA cable.
Would using your ‘Plugable USB Audio Adapter with 3.5mm Speaker/Headphone and Microphone Jacks (Black Aluminum; C-Media CM108 Chip; Built-In Compatibility with Windows’, solve the problem for me?
I do hope you can help me. If not, I will have to return the product on the basis that it is ‘Incompatible or not useful for intended purpose’ .
Many thanks.

Hi Nigel,

I suspect what’s happening is that Windows is attempting to play audio through the HDMI port when the cable is present (even though the cable doesn’t carry audio).

If this is the case, we’ll just need to change the preferred default audio playback device setting to the built-in speakers, which should then force audio playback through the internal speakers/headphone jack on your Dell.

This site has a good guide to the process:
http://www.7tutorials.com/how-change-…

This process should just be a one-time change, as Windows will remember the setting after you’ve made it.

Thanks!
Gary