HDMI to DVI not recognized on Plugable US-C Docking Station with Power, Model UD-CA1A

Good evening,

I just received my UD-CA1A docking station to replace a Baseus C-C3UEHVMSDC35 for my Dell XPS13-9360. I chose the Plugable after discovering that the Baseus did not provide power to my laptop, and I was happy to find that when I plugged in the new dock, power and all my peripherials worked immediately as expected. However, when I plugged in my monitor using an HDMI to DVI adapter, the monitor is not recognizing the input.

A couple of additional details-- I used the same HDMI cord and adapter with the Baseus and it worked seamlessly with the monitor. I am using the USB-C cable provided with the Plugable Docking station. I did a search for “Displaylink” on my computer and it returned “no results”

Please help me determine how to fix this problem so I can happily use my new docking station from Plugable!

Hello, thanks for posting! I am sorry to hear of this issue and I’d be happy to help. We have lots of successful results using our dock with the XPS 13 systems including the 9360 so the issue you describe is not expected!

Just to clarify, can you let us know the model of the monitor that you are connecting to the HDMI port on the dock as well as the specific HDMI to DVI adapter being used within the connection chain?

Also, can you confirm that the USB-C cable that came with the dock is being used to connect it to the Thunderbolt 3 port on your system?

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Hi David,

I was wrong about the connection, I am using an Amazon Basics HDMI to DVI cable. The monitor is a Dell SE198WFPv. These are the same items I was successfully using with the dock from the other MFGr. I am using the Thunderbolt cable provided with the dock

Thanks
Clint

Hi Clint, thanks for the reply and clarification. Looking at all the information I do not see an obvious reason why our dock would not be outputting video from the HDMI port. From here we’d want to investigate more and gather a log file from your system.

To help us do so please download and run our diagnostic utility PlugDebug → http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug with the dock connected to your system. Please send us the file that is created on your Desktop by attaching it to an email to our support email address at support@plugable.com with ‘Ticket Number 283699’ in the subject line. We’ll match everything up and determine next steps from there.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Hi David, the zip file has been sent. Will appreciate your prompt reply, really hoping to have this up and running by Friday morning

Thanks
Clint

Hello Clint, thanks for providing the debug logs. Looking at the logs I see available updates for the system’s BIOS, the system’s internal Intel graphics process and the system’s Thunderbolt 3 controller that could all have an impact in this issue. We’ll want to update the following pieces of software by installing them in the below order:

1. Please disconnect the dock from the system if it is not already and connect the Dell power adapter to the system.

2. Download and install the latest Dell BIOS from Dell here: https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER05641336M/1/XPS_9360_2.12.0.exe and follow the on screen prompts to finalize the installation and reboot when prompted

3. Once logged back in, please download and install the latest Thunderbolt 3 controller driver from Dell here: https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER05425995M/2/Intel-Thunderbolt-Controller-Driver_TBT79_WIN_17.4.79.510_A12.EXE and reboot when prompted or completed

4. Please download and install the latest Intel graphics driver from Dell here: https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER05757630M/2/Intel-HD-620-and-Iris-Graphics-640_611HN_WIN_26.20.100.6951_A11.EXE and please reboot once prompted or completed

5. Once logged back in please connect the dock to the system using the USB-C cable to test video output

If these steps do not help we would want to send you a replacement dock to make sure that the hardware is working properly, but it would not reach you before Friday morning. If you’d be interested in trying the replacement we can certainly proceed with the process but understood if you’d prefer to return the dock for a full refund. We can assist with both routes directly and we would reach out to your email address directly to facilitate the desired route.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Still didn’t work, looks like the dock is defective. Please send me another one ASAP. In the mean time I will continue to use the competitor’s product. This has not been the positive experience I was hoping for based on the reviews I had read. Hope you can make it right

Thanks
Clint

ok, not happy. I just setup the other dock and after installing the recommended updates the max resolution my system will allow is 640x480. Please provide a means to revert to the prior settings

Hello Clint, thank you for the updates and I am sorry to hear of the further issues. I have reached out to your directly to help assist with getting you back to a working solution and to gather a fresh PlugDebug log file, if possible, to determine if there is anything we can learn and then provide steps to revert settings or resolve this issue with the original dock.

Thank you,

David W.

I have tried to reply to your emails but it is returning “Address not found”. Did you receive the new zip file for the competitor dock so you can help determine how to fix the resolution problem? Frustrating that now I cant even use the monitor with the old dock bc of the resolution issue- want to get it restored ASAP.

Also, I appreciate you processing a refund, but are you also sending a replacement dock? I don’t want to continue using the competitor dock because it requires the laptop to be powered separately. I’m willing to try another one, assuming that the defective one I received was in the minority, but if not, please let me know asap so I can start shopping for something else.

Thanks
Clint

Hi Clint, I have received the log file and was just responding with steps to roll back the Intel driver. Nothing from a settings standpoint jumped out to me other than it appears that the laptop may be used with the lid closed and I am only curious if the same issue occurs with the lid open (I assume it does, but I want to be sure that all variables are checked).

Regarding the Address not found, messages I am not sure what this is… We have been receiving your emails properly.

Thanks and I apologize for the frustration,

David W.

OK, great. When the lid is open, the monitor mirrors the laptop screen at low resolution. The res on the laptop is fine, still has option of 1920x1080

when using the monitor in “extend” mode, max res is still 640x480

Thanks for the replies. I also provided steps to roll back the Intel drivers in the direct email discussion. I am curious if those steps help.

No rollback option on the display driver, also not seeing it as an option in any of the USB drivers, including the 3.0 & 3.1

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.