HDMI to DisplayPort for Second Monitor Not Working

Hello - I am currently using the Plugable USB-C docking station and having issues with my Dell P2213 detecting its connection to the docking station through a Comprehensive DisplayPort to HDMI cable. Link for the cable being used pasted below.

Not sure where to even start but the connection is not being detected by the computer or the monitor.

Computer is a Dell Precision 5510.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Hi There,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us, I am sorry to hear that you are running into this issue, but I would be more than happy to assist!

Based on the individual cable you are utilizing, it is not bi-directional, which means it does not allow you to connect a HDMI based source (the docking station) to a DisplayPort based display, but is intended the other way around (DP source to HDMI display)

In order to connect your display to the docking station, you will need to purchase a Bi-Directional HDMI to DVI cable, and connect the DVI port on the display to the HDMI port on the docking station.

I hope this information helps, please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns, and I would be more than happy to assist!

Thank you for your patience,
Marc
Product Owner & Technical Support
www.plugable.com/support

Hey Marc - Thanks for responding!

Are you saying that all HDMI to DisplayPort adapters are not bi-directional, and that it makes more sense to go HDMI to DVI?

Or did you mean to say that I need to find a bi-directional HDMI to DisplayPort adapter?

Hi There,

Not all individual HDMI to DisplayPort are non bi-directional, but they can be fairly expensive and difficult to find. Based on your configuration, and the individual displays and system you are utilizing, I would still advise utilizing a HDMI to DVI based adapter, so that you do not run into additional issues.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns, and I would be more than happy to assist.

Thank you for your time,
Marc
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Everyone,

We hope this information regarding the difference between non bi-directional cables, and bi-directional cables was informative! One of the main issues we see customers running into is related to the utilization of a conversion adapter or a cable that converts DP to HDMI, and when it can be used correctly.

If anyone has any similar questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us directly at support@plugable.com.

Thank you for your time,
Marc
www.plugable.com/support