HDMI port on USB-C 4K triple display flickering or not showing

Hi - I bought this product in August/September last year when I was in the UK. At the time, I noticed the HDMI port didn’t work well with my 2 monitors and 2 laptops but I managed to connect 2 monitors using the DPs, which is what I needed then and I assumed there could be a later driver fix.

I am now in China trying the HDMI port again with 3 other monitors (for a total of 5 monitors) and am experiencing issues with all of them on two different laptops. It is not the cable - I have tried several and experience the same issue. I also installed the latest Displaylink software. I also tried removing registry settings (a suggested fix for a similar reported issue in this forum) and no luck.

The two laptops are a Lenovo X1 Carbon 5th Generation running Windows 10 and a Microsoft Surface Book 2. When I connect any monitor to the HDMI port when the hub is connected to the Lenovo X1 Carbon, WIndows 10 recognizes the attached monitor but the monitor reports that it is not receiving any signal. When I connect any monitor to the HDMI port when the hub is connected to the Windows Surface Book 2, Windows 10 recognizes the monitor and the monitor shows the display but it flickers every few seconds. I noticed that over time and if I plug more items into the hub, the flickering seems to increase in frequency.

Naturally I am disappointed as I purchased this product to replace a reasonable dual monitor solution and my hope was to have a superior more stable solution that I could later extend to three monitors. So I am disappointed to have spent extra on this solution (including extra cables as I was forced to use the DP ports) and to have spent a couple of days of personal time fiddling with it to no avail. I hope I can get this resolved without spending too much more time on this, especially as it increasingly looks like a hub with a faulty HDMI function and would therefore be a warranty issue.

Please let me know.

Thanks

Hi There,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us, I am sorry to hear that you are running into this issue, but I would be more than happy to assist!

Based on current testing lab information internally, we have found that Surface Book 2 systems with “Dual GPU” abilities (having an Intel and an Nvidia GPU) experiences issues outputting to displays utilizing USB-C Alt-Mode (the 4K HDMI port on the dock) and this could be the reason why you are experiencing a “Flickering” on this display when connected to the 4K HDMI port. We do mention this inside of the compatibility table for this device on our Product Pages (www.plugable.com/products/ud-ultc4k) but I apologize if this messaging is not more clear.

Do you happen to know if your Surface Book 2 has a Dual GPU configuration? If not, we could review the log files (for both systems) to see if this is what could be causing the issue, and to see if the other problems related to all three displays connecting are related to any software or firmware issues.

When you have a moment, could you please keep everything connected and send us the output of our diagnostic utility PlugDebug –> http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug from both systems, and email them directly to us at support@plugable.com. Please include both files in the same email, and add “Ticket no. 273275” to the subject line, so that we can keep all of your information inside of the same place.

Thank you for your patience,
Marc
Product Owner & Technical Support
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Everyone,

We attempted to reach out to seeza to obtain some log files and additional information regarding their configuration, but we did not receive a response back. If anyone else is running into the same issue, or seeza would like to continue troubleshooting, please feel free to reach out to us directly at support@plugable.com.

Thank you for your time,
Marc
Product Owner & Technical Support
www.plugable.com/support