HDMI port doesn't give all the possible resolutions on my LG 27UD68-W monitor and Macboook pro 2018

Hello,
If I connect my new macbook pro 2018 (15,1) to a USB-C dongle with an HDMI port, I get the standard Apple - Retina - looking scaled display options… small, larger, largest, etc… One of those resolutions is 2560 by 1440 and it’s nice and crisp… If I connect to your HDMI port… I get something that allows me to choose resolutions, but there’s no option for scaled 2560x1440. Even with the option-key-click-scaled radio button, no choice. What is different about your HDMI port than this cheapo dongle “Cable Creations” from China? My dongle is making the external display act just like my retina display on the Macbook pro.
Thanks,
Sal

Hi There,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us, I am sorry to hear that you are running into this issue, but I would be more than happy to assist!

This particular issue may be a result of the configuration of your setup, or the individual devices you are connecting to the dock (including the display). Would it be possible to obtain the model number of the Cable Matters adapter you are utilizing?

When connecting the dock directly to your system, are you utilizing the original USB-C to USB-C cable, or an alternate cable?

Does this issue occur no matter which port you utilize on your system?

Thank you for your patience,
Marc
Product Owner & Technical Support
www.plugable.com/support

Hi there,
This issue looks the same no matter which HDMI port that I use on the monitor from your device. A connection to the dock is using the USB-C to USB-C which came with your device. The cables I am using for HDMI came with the LG Monitor. In addition, when I connect though the USB-C-HDMI/VGA/DVI Cable Creations Adapter, and the scaled resolutions are available, I am using the LG HDMI cable. I am also using your network port and the USB port to connect a printer. The adapter is a Cable Creations CD0449. Here is is on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WVD5JYT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I should also mention that I bought a no-name brand USB-C to Displayport and it also allows the scaled resolutions on my MacBook Pro 2018 (15,1) However, DisplayPort seemed like it didn’t have as sharp a resolution when scaled so I switched back to the cable creations adapter. I’d really prefer that your mini-dock worked the same way.

Hi There,

Thank you so much for including the model number of the cable matters adapter, and all of the amazing information you have gathered. We are going to attempt to replicate your setup with an in-house testing configuration, and see if the same issue occurs. As soon as we have more information, we can work on the next steps for resolving the issue. I appreciate you patience during this time, and please let me know if anything changes with your configuration.

Thank you,
Marc
www.plugable.com/support

Hi There,

We were able to connect a 4K display to one or our UD-CAM units while connected to a Macbook Air 2018, utilizing 10.14.2 Mojave. When the display is not mirrored, we were able to see all 4 scaling options available on the display connected via the UD-CAM. This is the expected behavior when utilizing the UD-CAM in unison with support macOS based system.

When you have a moment, would it be possible to send over screenshots of the scaling options available when utilizing the Cable matters adapter on the connected display, and also with the individual display connected via the UD-CAM, when the display is not mirrored?

Please include “Ticket no. 268943” in the subject line, and send over the screenshots via email to support@plugable.com. Just so we have all of the additional information, could you please keep everything connected and send us the output of our diagnostic utility PlugDebug –> http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug as this will allow us to examine some log files from your system to help determine the next steps, as well as the screenshots. This way, we can review the log files from your system, and see what the behavior is.

Thank you,
Marc
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Everyone,

After speaking with Sal directly, we have had a replacement unit sent out to see if we could replicate the behavior with a pretested unit. We are awaiting confirmation that the issue has been resolved once the replacement was tested, but if anyone else has any additional questions, or is experiencing similar behavior, please feel free to reach out to us directly at support@plugable.com.

Thank you for your time,
Marc
www.plugable.com/support