HDMI out does not work

Hello!

I recently purchase a Plugable USB-C 4K docking station to complement my HP Spectre x360 15" (2020) laptop.

I purchased the dock specifically to run at least two external monitors as extended desktops of my laptop screen. I have done this before on other computers using other docks using the two monitors I am trying to use now with this HP laptop and this Plugable dock.

The dock appears to work fine except that the HDMI out port is not providing a connection to a monitor regardless of whether it is the only monitor being driven or if another monitor is driven by the Displayports.

I have tried multiple monitors and it is not a cable issue or a specific monitor issue.

When I view the Display control screen in windows - the external monitor driven by the HDMI port is “detected” and shown as a very small display next to the other monitor(s) detected by windows, but I cannot extend the desktop to the monitor driven by the HDMI port or have that monitor be the sole display while hooked to the HDMI port.

What are some good next steps troubleshooting wise?

Thank you!

Hello,

I have a very similar issue. I bought the USB-C 4K docking station. I have the same HP Spectre x360. The dock worked fine up until a few weeks ago. Then the displays would then freeze, then turn off and on. Lastly earlier this week the HDMI monitor stopped working. Now last I checked the Dock works with my other Dell Latitude laptop, but I purchased this specifically for the HP. I followed the instructions that were posted where you would uninstall the display link then re-install but this did nothing to help the issue.

@kelvinj70

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

The HDMI 4K output on this dock does not use DisplayLink technology so the drivers wouldn’t have helped for that specific output not working. Rather, the HDMI output uses USB-C VESA DisplayPort Alternate Mode video output to function. This “Alt Mode” runs directly from the host system graphics card (DisplayPort video signal over USB-C through the dock where it is converted to HDMI). This function is not compatible with all systems, and since it’s working for your Dell, it sounds like the dock may be having a compatibility issue with your HP specifically.

We can check to see if there may be any updates that could help compatibility and we have a troubleshooting tool that helps us find out what is going on in situations like this. Please plug the dock with the HDMI display attached into your computer, then go to this page and follow the instructions there:

http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug

Finally, can you confirm if the other DisplayPort video outputs have been stable since the driver update?

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry

Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

@esmac I’ve emailed you directly so we can keep these two issues between you and the other user who replied separated.

I’ll update this post with any conclusions we come to so anyone else having troubles can stay informed.

Thanks!

Joshua Henry

Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

Hello. I am having the same issue. I also have an HP SPECTRE laptop. The HDMI connected monitor stopped working just now. I tried with other monitors with the same issue.

@kurule Please email us at support@plugable.com so we can best assist you with this issue. We’ll want to collect some diagnostics information:

We have a troubleshooting tool that helps us find out what is going on in situations like this. Please plug the device into your computer, then go to this page and follow the instructions there:

Similar issue with a UD-ULTC4K on a Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 running
Windows 10. Both of the 2 DisplayPort outputs work fine and are stable. However, the HDMI output does not work. The cables are fine and the HDMI monitor works when plugged in directly to the computer. The HDMI monitor also works when plugged into the docking station via an HDMI to DisplayPort cable. Have tried rebooting all of the devices but still not able to get the HDMI output to work.

@wcross Please email us at support@plugable.com so we can best assist you with this issue. We’ll want to collect some diagnostics information:

We have a troubleshooting tool that helps us find out what is going on in situations like this. Please plug the device into your computer, then go to this page and follow the instructions there:

A post was split to a new topic: HDMI output does not work