HDMI displays connected to dock not detected on Dell Latitude 3580

The dock is connected to the computer’s USB 3 port using the TB3 cable supplied with the dock and a USB-C to USB-A adapter. All connected accessories work, except for the monitors. I have a functional similar setup at work that works without issues using a Dell D6000 dock. I just ran the Intel Driver and Support Assistant to check if new Intel drivers were missing, but it only installed updated Bluetooth and wifi drivers. Nothing video related. I have the latest Dell bios installed using Dell Support Assist.

Hello Janluc,

Thank you for reaching out to Plugable Support!

I am sorry to hear that you are running into issues with your TBT3-UDZ, but I would be happy to help diagnose the issue.

Unfortunately, our TBT3-UDZ will not work with a USB-C to USB-A adapter, as the dock needs to connect to a Thunderbolt 3 or Thunderbolt 4 port on your computer for full functionality. The reason that this setup worked on your previous Dell dock was because that dock only required a USB 3.0 connection, similar to our UD-6950H docking station.

Looking at the specifications for your laptop, the Dell Latitude 3580 does not have a Thunderbolt 3 or Thunderbolt 4 port, so we unfortunately do not expect this dock to work with your device.

Sorry for the inconvenience! Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

Evan
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Hi, and thanks for replying. Everything else that is connected to the dock when connected to my Dell Latitude DOES work though. Just not the monitors.

Hello Janluc,

Yes, that is what we expect when the dock is connected to a USB 3.0 port. The dock can still function like a USB hub (USB ports, audio jack, etc.), but it will not be able to output video because USB-A ports cannot support video.

Thank you,

Evan
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Evan,
You mean USB-A cannot support video when connected to a TB dock? My D6000 dock at work is connected to my Dell computer using a USB-C to USB-A adapter and the 2 DP monitors connected to the dock work perfectly… I will keep the dock, because I also bought it for my M1 Pro MacBook Pro.
Thanks,

Hello Janluc,

Correct. The reason you are able to get video on your D6000 dock or our UD-6950H dock over USB-A is because these docks use a technology called DisplayLink, which essentially converts the video data to USB data, transfers it through the USB port, then gets converted back into video data by the docking station. Our TBT3-UDZ does not use this technology, so it will not work on a USB-A port. However, this dock should still work well with the M1 Pro MacBook Pro as it has Thunderbolt 4 ports.

Thank you,

Evan
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

One last question…
Does Plugable have a TB3 or 4 dock that also support DisplayLink?
Thanks again,

Hello Janluc,

While we do not technically have Thunderbolt 3 or Thunderbolt 4 docks that support DisplayLink, our DisplayLink docks will work perfectly fine with Thunderbolt devices such as your M1 MacBook Pro, as well as non-Thunderbolt devices.

Take our UD-6950H for example. This is a DisplayLink dock that can connect via USB-C or USB-A, and can support up to 2x 4K displays @60Hz via DisplayPort or HDMI. This dock also provides plenty of other ports such as USB 3.0 ports, gigabit ethernet, and audio jacks. An important note for DisplayLink based products is that you need the DisplayLink Manager app installed on the MacBook for the devices to work properly. We have very detailed instructions on how to do that here.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Thank you,

Evan
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.