Hard Drive Docking Station UASP Buggy on Linux

My USB SSD disconnects, resets, and freezes frequently when using UASP with Linux.

I have the Plugable® Storage System 2.5" SATA III Hard Drive Docking Station with Built-in 3-Port USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Hub (PSS-SDH1), which includes the ASMedia ASM1053E chipset. I’m also running Fedora 24 with

$ uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 4.7.5-200.fc24.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Sep 26 21:25:47 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

When the device freezes or disconnects, I get a lot of kernel messages like this:

Oct 06 10:57:49 localhost.localdomain kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] tag#6 uas_eh_abort_handler 0 uas-tag 7 inflight: CMD OUT
Oct 06 10:57:49 localhost.localdomain kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] tag#5 uas_eh_abort_handler 0 uas-tag 6 inflight: CMD OUT
Oct 06 10:57:49 localhost.localdomain kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] tag#4 uas_eh_abort_handler 0 uas-tag 5 inflight: CMD OUT
Oct 06 10:57:49 localhost.localdomain kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] tag#3 uas_eh_abort_handler 0 uas-tag 4 inflight: CMD
Oct 06 10:57:49 localhost.localdomain kernel: scsi host2: uas_eh_bus_reset_handler start
Oct 06 10:57:49 localhost.localdomain kernel: scsi host2: uas_eh_bus_reset_handler success

To work around the problem, I had to set the usb-storage module to ignore UAS for the device as outlined here:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.p…

Afterward I can see the device is using the ‘usb-storage’ module instead of ‘uas’ as outlined here:

http://superuser.com/questions/928741…

Now the drive works, but I assume the performance isn’t quite as good as it could be with UAS.

Just FYI. Maybe ASMedia is just sketchy.

Hi John,

Thanks for contacting Plugable!

Yes, you are experiencing a known issue with certain combinations of Linux and USB storage drivers. If you install a Windows OS on that same hardware, it would work with UASP just fine.

So far no updates on if/when this will be fixed - lots of fingerpointing between different software and hardware parties as you can imagine. It is unfortunately very much outside of Plugable control.

Meanwhile your workaround is the right way to go - unfortunately for now you have to disable UASP in favor of BOT for it to work at all.

Please contact us at support@plugable.com in case you have any other questions!

Thank you,
Jordan
Plugable Technologies