Graphics near cursor "vibrate" when moving mouse

I’ve got a USB 2.0 DisplayLink (model UGA-2K-A) that’s outputting to a third monitor. If I don’t move the mouse at all, everything looks fine.

When I’m working though, areas of the screen have the graphics vibrating slightly (looks like it’s a vertical shimmering or something) and seems to happen mostly near the cursor, but also affects other areas of the screen.It never affects the entire screen, just random segments.
Also, the green light on the unit is constantly flashing rapidly…I have another DisplayLink at home and the green light stays on solid.

Anybody heard of this happening?
Thanks

Hi Eric,

Thanks for posting your experience here on our Support forum. I have a couple of questions regarding your question about the image quality being affected by the mouse movements. Can you tell me what resolution you are running at and what type of connection you’re using?

Let me know these additional details, and we’ll figure out next steps.

Thanks,
Jerome.

Plugable Technologies

Thanks Jerome,

Resolution is 1920 x 1080
USB cable from PC to DisplayLink
DVI cable from DisplayLink to monitor

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the additional information, that rules out the first options. Next, can you try running with the optimize for video setting enabled? You can find this by clicking on the displayLink icon in the system tray and selecting ‘optimize for video’. In testing here we’ve seen that setting help graphics at higher data rates.

Thanks again,
Jerome.

Plugable Technologies

Well, “helps” is a relative term here. 8)

It gets rid of the flickering problem, but makes the text unreadable on the apps I work with.

Hi Eric,

It sounds like you are seeing some of the limits of what can be done over USB 2.0. Because of bandwidth constraints, when large amounts of data are being sent to the monitor, small artifacts in the image can sometimes be seen.

It’s normal for the green light to blink, it indicates data being transferred. On the product page for the UGA-2K-A there’s a section near the bottom regarding performance tuning. If the performance of your device is not acceptable for your use, please contact us directly at support@plugable.com with your Amazon Order ID and we’ll get you fixed up.

Thanks,
Jerome.

Plugable Technologies