GPU1 stays inactive (0%). How can I assign it DisplayLink tasks?

Bought a new HP Envy 17 U273cl with integrated graphics and nVidia GeForce MX150 with 4GB dedicated. According to the Task Manger the nVidia (GPU1) is not being assigned any tasks and its utilization stays at 0. How do I specify to use it for DisplayLink tasks, or at least get it busy? I have 6 USB3-HDMI-DVI through a through a USB3-HUB7-81X Thank you.

Hi Vic,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us, I would be more than happy to answer your questions.

Windows and the GFX drivers handle the management of which GPU is utilized. In most scenarios, Windows uses the GPU that is used for POST/boot for computing USB graphics. There is no easy fix for telling the dedicate MX150 card to handle a majority of the work, and no DisplayLink settings that can be modified to match the behavior you are looking for. There is a ton of information regarding this configuration, and why it has to be done this way via Intels site, and I would be more than happy to provide links to this information if need be.

I hope this information helps, please let me know if there is anything else I can help with, and I would be more than happy to assist.

Thank you for your time,
Marc
Product Owner & Technical Support
www.plugable.com/support

Hi, Marc,

I would love to read all the relevant links you have. So far, I have yet to even once see GPU1 in the Task Manager. I haven’t loaded it pathologically, but I’m not yet seeing why I bot a 2nd GPU. I really want to make use of the 4GB dedicated graphics memory. Thank you for all the guidance you can provide.

Vic Scherer

Hi Vic,

No problem! There is an ability to change the default “graphics card” to always be the dedicated card, but that means that you may see a reduction in battery life.

Here are some individual links that delve into the reason why their are multi-GPU systems and how they work:

A lower-power GPU integrated into the CPU can be used when there are no resource heavy graphics demands so that less power is consumed. When the higher power discrete GPU is required it can kick in, but at the cost of more power consumption.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/…

https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti…

One brand specific link that speaks to configuration is here:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document…

I hope this information is helpful!

Thank you for your patience,
Marc
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Everyone,

We were able to advise Vic on obtaining information regarding why Windows systems with integrated and dedicated graphics cards will default to one or the other.

If anyone else has any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us directly at support@plugable.com.

Thank you for your time,
Marc
www.plugable.com/support

Yes! While my machine in question has the nVidia MX150, I used the nVidia Control Panel / 3D Settings / Program Settings and was able to move significant load to GPU1, which I wanted… Chrome and all the programs I use most often. Still, the MX150 is under-utilized. Thank you, Marc!