GoToMeeting and Video performance

I am using the USB Docking Station 2.0 with a Toshiba laptop and HP w2207 22" monitor. The image quality is poor from the docking station, even though the monitor reports it is running at 1680 x 1050 (native) resolution. Text color varies and seems fuzzy. Plugged directly into the laptop the monitor perform normally at the same resolution.

Second, I run high-end CAD software and attempted to use the docking station during a GoToMeeting session. The graphic performance slowed down to the point of being unusable. I connected the monitor up directly to the laptop and normal graphic performance returned.

I am concerned that the device may not be quite up to the required performance standards I require in my computing environment.

Hi David,

Thanks for posting your question here regarding GoToMeeting and Video performance. First, I’d like to run the aero troubleshooter. Here’s a link to instructions on how to do that:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wi…

If the troubleshooter finds and fixes any problems, do you see improvement?

Now if it’s still performing the same, let’s look a little more closely at your hardware and applications. Here’s a list of questions ~

1. What’s the model of your Toshiba?

2. Which operating system are you running?

3. Are you connecting to the docking station through a hub? If so, is it powered?

4. Are you sharing the desktop of your computer in the GoToMeeting session or are you viewing others’ machines.

5. Do you have the wired Ethernet Connection in use? If so, can you connect it directly to the Toshiba? Does that show improvement?

Let me know what you find and we’ll figure out next steps,

Happy New Year!
Jerome.

Plugable Technologies

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was traveling last week.

I ran the Aero troubleshooter and no problems were detected.

My System information is as follows:

System: Toshiba Satellite P740 w/ 6GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDA GEFORCE GT 525M 1GB
Connection: Direct USB connection to Plugable Docking Station

I do both in GoToMeeting. I share my desktop and also view others. I saw the performance degradation when running my SolidWorks CAD software.

Connecting the LAN cable directly to the laptop makes no difference. As a matter of fact, the performance of the CAD software is degraded as soon as the GoToMeeting software starts, prior to sharing my desktop with anyone. Removing the USB Docking Station and connecting everything to the laptop solves the issue.

Additionally, I also stated that the video quality through the docking station is poor. Connecting directly to the laptop solves this issue as well.

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply and the additional details. Please run the displayLink support tool when you are have your CAD software running and GoToMeeting and you are seeing the issue you described earlier. Here’s a link to instructions:

http://plugable.com/support/tools/dis…

Forward the .zip file it creates over to support@plugable.com. We’ll be able to get a better idea of what’s happening with the support tool data.

Thanks!
Jerome.

Plugable Technologies.

Well,

I must admit that I am a little frustrated with the product. I followed the instructions and downloaded the DisplayLink Support Tool. The download page indicated the zip file would have both 32 and 64 bit versions of the software. It contained only one .exe file. I ran this program and it seemed to start fine. When I click on the “Gather Support Information” button, I get a dialog box saying the DisplayLink Support Tool has stopped working and the program closes.

I do not have the time to deal with hardware that does not work on my system, as well as debug software. How do I get an RMA for the product? I would like to return it.

Hi David,

I’m very sorry - that’s frustrating the DisplayLink’s log gathering tool is also crashing on the system. We make pretty heavy use of it, and that’s not common.

In any case, we don’t want you having to spend time when things are going wrong, and we don’t yet know the cause.

We’d be happy to get you a full refund. Just email your Amazon order number (from Amazon’s email to you) to support@plugable.com. If you’re within 30 days, we’ll help steer you to Amazon for the refund. If it’s later, we’d be happy to give the refund direct.

Again, my apologies, and we fully understand. Thanks for your patience to this point!

Bernie