Gigabit USB 2.0 Ethernet adapter not enabling on windows 7 64 bits

Hi I just installed the USB 2.0 Gigabit ethernet adapter driver from your website and it installed fine, however when i check my adapters the ethernet adapter is disabled and greyed out. When i click to enable the adapter my pc says its enabled but the adapter is still disabled and not responding to my cable.

I checked the cable and adapter with my laptop and it works fine.

Please help

Hi John-

Thanks for posting, and sorry to hear that your Win7x64 system isn’t working with our adapter.

With a bit of quick troubleshooting and some additional details I’m confident we’ll be able to get you up and running- especially since you mention it works on the other system, thanks for checking on that!

I have two questions to begin with:

1. Is the adapter plugged directly into your PC, or are there any other USB hubs or extensions in between the hub and adapter? For troubleshooting, let’s try having it plugged straight into a built-in port on your system. If already plugged directly in, please try a different USB port on the system if possible.

2. If changing ports doesn’t make any difference, could you please attach the .zip file generated by our support tool, PlugDebug, in an email to support@plugable.com (also, please mention ticket 34709)?

With this information I’ll be able to tell whether your PC is able to “see” the adapter, and if so, some insight into what errors it might be having.

Instructions to download and use PlugDebug are here:
http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug

Please let me know if you’ve any other questions.

Best wishes-

Jeff Everett
Plugable Technologies

Thanks Jeff,

Just sent my plugdebug report.

Went to reinstall the adapter and checked the event viewer and this turned up

The description for Event ID 0 from source AX88178 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Set OID complete failed.

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file

Don’t know if this helps

John

Hi John-

Thanks for submitting your PlugDebug output. From this I can see that the adapter is connected and detected normally, and that the driver seems to be loaded normally as well. This would suggest that something with the system or network is at issue.

Can you share some details about the network and specific ethernet cable you’re connecting to? Have you tried other devices on the same ethernet cable to verify that they are able to connect normally?

My gut instinct is that this is a networking problem, not something wrong with your system or the adapter- however since you mentioned trying to reinstall the adapter, I’m not sure if this might have changed since you generated the PlugDebug output.

Please let me know if you’ve had success connecting other networking devices to this same ethernet connection- and if not, could you please share some details about whether this is a home or work network?

Best wishes-

Jeff Everett
Plugable Technoloiges

The network cable works fine with my laptop and i am connected to a home network.

As mentioned above went i checked the event viewer this error appeared.

The description for Event ID 0 from source AX88178 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Set OID complete failed.

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file

Can this be the problem

John

Quick update. Just uninstalled the driver and reinserted the adapter to let windows find the drivers. However windows is taking a very long time to install the drivers and i have to pull the adapter out to make it stop.

Maybe its my computer that has a fault and not the adapter.

Hi John-

Thanks for all the extra information- it’s particularly helpful to know this Ethernet connection is working with other adapters.

It’s also great to know that Windows update doesn’t seem to be working to install the driver on your system- this could be because it didn’t have an active internet connection to search from when it was run, but I’m not sure. The event viewer details also suggest the issue is driver related.

Could you please try the driver installer at the link below, and let me know how it goes- and include a new copy of the PlugDebug report if it doesn’t work.
http://www.asix.com.tw/FrootAttach/dr…

Best wishes-

Jeff

Still not working maybe my pc is not supplying enough power to make the adapter work.

Also sent the new report to your email.

Hi John-

Thanks for the new PlugDebug report. From this it looks like the driver installation has completed normally and that the device and driver are detected normally.

Since power issues can definitely cause erratic behavior, I agree that it is possible your PC is not providing enough power for the adapter to actually work. Forgive me if I overlooked this, could you please let me know on these two questions:

1. Is the adapter plugged directly into your PC, or are there any other USB hubs or extensions in between the hub and adapter? For troubleshooting, let’s try having it plugged straight into a built-in port on your system.

2. If already plugged directly in, please try a different USB port on the system if possible.

Best-

Jeff