Getting a Plugable USB 2.0 10/100 Ethernet Adapter working on a Moto E (2nd Gen) LTE smartphone?

I am using a Plugable USB 2.0 10/100 Ethernet Adapter on a Moto E (2nd Gen) LTE smartphone, which I have read should support OTG.

I cannot get it to work. Does anyone have any tips or advice? Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for posting the question here!

I just wanted to double check with you which USB to Ethernet adapter you are using. Plugable sells two USB 2.0 10/100 adapters that are using same chip set AX88772:
A. USB2-E100: This has a full-sized type A USB connecter with normal cable attached.
B. USB2-OTGE100: This has a microUSB connecter with OTG cable attached.

If you are using USB2-E100, you may need to use an OTG cable to convert the full-sized connecter to microUSB.
If you are using that kind of OTG cable, it’s possible that the OTG cable has an issue.

Or are you using the USB2-OTGE100 one?

As far as we have tested with the USB2-OTGE100, the device driver for A88772 has been built in to the Moto X, Xoom, and Droid, but actually we haven’t nor heard or tested Moto E smartphone yet. For Android device, it depends on the device side if the USB to Ethernet chip set was supported or not. That is because Android basically doesn’t allow users to install any device driver.

If the device driver was built into the Android device when shipped from manufacturer, the USB2-OTGE100 adapter should start working when plugged in. If not, unfortunately there isn’t any to make it work.

I hope the above information helps. If you have any further questions, please contact us at support@plugable.com so that we can figure it out together.

Regards,
Sachiko
Plugable Support

thanks for the reply…

Yes it is the USB2-OTGE100… basically i plug it in, with the ethernet cable, and nothing happens. I did read OTG is supported in the 2nd Generation LTE Moto E (but not the 1st generation)… but perhaps this doesnt neccessarily mean OTG ethernet is supported.

I thought possibly there is some configuration setting somewhere. But well i guess if it doesnt work, it doesnt work… shame, but thanks for the help. :slight_smile:

Matthew,

Thank you for the clarification.

>>I did read OTG is supported in the 2nd Generation LTE Moto E (but not the 1st generation)… but perhaps this doesnt neccessarily mean OTG ethernet is supported.

That’s correct. This USB2-OTGE100 Ethernet adapter requires the device driver installed and activated in the Android device, in addition to the OTG was supported.

Thank you for your understanding, and please feel free to return the USB2-OTGE100 adapter through Amazon.
We’ll update our Android Compatibility List of the product page accordingly with your information, which would be very helpful for other Android phone users.

Thanks again and have a happy holidays!

Regards,
Sachiko
Plugable Support

It works with my moto E sd gen 4G LTE, android 6.0, hardware SKU XT1524.

Battery must be full, the recognition of the device is slow, it takes more than one minute.