General Plug and Use Operation is not consistent/Is there a better way/preferred way?

Operating on a Macbook Pro, looking for a dock that I can just plug into and connect to my hard drives and other USB devices and a secondary monitor. This came highly recommended but it’s been far from consistent with its connectivity. I have updated the drive to the most recent on the site and nothing has changed (so I experienced issues with and without that driver installed).

Ideally, one would want to use the laptop away from the dock, come to the dock and plug in. This at times does not turn on the monitor (the hard drives are always appearing). If I am plugged in and the computer goes to sleep, I need to open the laptop to trigger the dock, and that only triggers the monitor to come on occasionally. At times all I could do to get the monitor to appear was do a full restart, and I would need to make sure I was NOT connected to the dock. Again, hard drives are always appearing.

Is this a fact of life for docks, what are the magic steps to make the monitor turn on (1) when docked already and the computer is off or sleeping, and (2) when I am away and return to plug in again?

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports), fully updated.

Hello Sean,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

Generally speaking, these are not issues that we would expect most users to encounter with our TBT3-UDV docking station. However, depending on the combination of devices used there may be some compatibility problems. To best assist you I have some questions, and we’ll want to collect some diagnostics.

1. You mentioned a driver, the TBT3-UDV does not require any drivers on Mac, so I am curious what drivers you’re referring to.

2. We have a troubleshooting tool that helps us find out what is going on in situations like this. Please plug the dock with your devices attached into your computer, then go to this page and follow the instructions there:

http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug

1. It would be good to get a copy of the diagnostics in both working and broken states so that we can compare them. When you email us the diagnostics results to support@plugable.com, please mention ticket # “331740”.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry

Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.