External monitor freezes

I have a Plugable UD-3900, with a Dell Inspiron laptop and Dell external monitor connected via the VGA port. Have had the UD-3900 for three years. Yesterday the monitor froze; the frozen display also displayed when I changed monitors.

Operating system is Windows 10. The system control panel shows “Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed). Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)”

Otherwise the docking station is working normally, so it seems the problem may be in the VGA port.

Please help!

Hi Dave,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support, and joining our forums we are always happy to help with your questions and I’m sorry to hear about the issue you’re seeing with our docking station. The USB errors and frozen screen issue can sometimes be fixed by removing and reinstalling the DisplayLink software on your computer, so I’ll ask you to please try those steps first to see if they help the situation.

Please run through the following steps to remove and reinstall the DisplayLink software on your computer.

1. Disconnect the dock from the system and please remove the power cable from the dock so it turns off completely. Please keep it disconnected until the last step.
  2. Uninstall any and all software with ‘DisplayLink’ in the title that is present from within the Control Panel → Programs and Features. Don’t worry if these entries are not present or if the process does not work, just move onto the next step
  3. Download, extract and run the DisplayLink cleaner tool, found here → https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin/DisplayLink/DisplayLink+Installation+Cleaner+9.1.1462.exe
  4. Once the Cleaner has been run, reboot (even if not prompted to)
  5. Now download and install the 9.2 M3 DisplayLink software, found here → https://plugable.s3.amazonaws.com/bin/DisplayLink/DisplayLink+USB+Graphics+Software+for+Windows+9.2+M3.exe
  6. Reattach the power cable to the dock first. Once the dock is powered on, reconnect it to your system which will trigger the final portion of the installation

Please let us know whether that helps or not and we can follow up with additional details if the above steps do not fix the issue.

Thanks!
-Andrew
Plugable Technologies

Andrew:

All good! I appreciate your clear and easy to follow instructions.

Thanks very much.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for letting us know those steps helped, I’m happy to hear that you’re no longer seeing the issue.

Please do reach out to us again if you have any issues or questions, we’re always happy to help.

Thanks!
-Andrew

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.