External hard drives suddenly stopped being recognized

I have had the plugable USB 3 7 port hub since February 2022. All of a sudden, it stopped recognizing all 5 external hard drives yesterday. However, if I plug a hard drive directly into the computer’s USB ports, then each are recognized so I know it’s not a problem with the external drives. I power cycled the plugable device but it didn’t fix the problem.

Thanks for contacting Plugable support and for all the information you gave us. I’m sorry to hear about this issue through your USB Hub, but I’d be happy to help.

I did want to mention that we do not support multiple hard drives connected to USB hubs as they have been known to cause many issues when used like this? When multiple hard drives are required for backup systems, we do recommend looking into a device such as a NAS or RAID array. That is better equipped to managing data distributed over multiple hard drives.

The first steps we’ll want to take are to perform a power-cycle of the unit to reset its internal hub chipset. We’ve seen that this can often restore the Hub back to a working state when one or more of its functions are not quite working. To do this, please follow these steps:

1. Disconnect all USB peripherals connected to the USB Hub
  2. Disconnect USB Hub from host machine, then disconnect the power adapter from power
  3. Leave unplugged for 1 minute for power to dissipate
  4. Connect USB Hub initially into power only
  5. Connect USB Hub to host machine, then connect USB peripherals and test for functionality

Thanks for giving us a chance to help!

Richard A
Plugable Technologies
https://plugable.com/support

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.