External drive sleep

Hi,
What makes the drive go to sleep after 10 minutes? Is it the enclosure’s firmware, or is it the operating system itself?
Also where can I download updated firmware (or check that I have the latest)?
Thank you,

Hi Gigel,

Thanks for contacting Plugable! I’ll be glad to assist.

The 10 minute spin-down is a function of the firmware on the drive dock. We have an alternate firmware available for the UASP1 dock that will disable this functionality. We’re working on a firmware to disable this behavior on our U3 dock as well, and are hoping it will be complete in the next couple weeks.

Please email support@plugable.com with your Amazon Order ID number and we’ll be able to get a better idea if there are any firmware updates available.

Thanks!
Gary

Hi, I have this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A…
Is it UASP1 or U3?
Don’t you have a page with with firmware downloads on the website so I can check?

Thanks.

Hi Gigel,

Thanks for the link - that’s the UASP1 dock. There are only two firmware versions for that dock, one with no drive spin-down (which was only installed on our first batch of the docks well over a year ago) and the current version which has drive spin-down enabled.

(We do have a tool to check your firmware version, found here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin… ) Though it sounds like we can be certain of which firmware you have since your drive is spinning down.

We do not publicly post the no-spindown firmware, but if you can please email support@plugable.com we’ll be glad to provide the firmware and installation instructions.

Thanks!
Gary

Hi Gary,
Thank you very much for the detailed information, I ran the firmware version check and indeed I do have the latest, 130107917d00, that makes the drive go to sleep.
I decided I will stay with that for the moment, rather than change to fw that keeps it awake permanently (especially since I can arrange for some background task myself to access the drive every once in a while to prevent it from sleeping).
I am all good for now.
PS: it would be a nice feature to have the interval user adjustable, either by having the enclosure follow Windows Power profile settings for the drive, or maybe provide a small utility yourself, but that’s just a nice-to-have, not critical at least for me.
Thanks again and keep up the good work.

Hi Gigel,

Thanks for the kind words, and for the feedback!

I know there have been discussions about how to approach the sleep settings in the firmware, and I’ll make sure these suggestions are mentioned next time we revisit this topic internally.

Thanks!
Gary