External drive disconnecting

2017 MBP drops external drive connected to Plugable UD-CAM. At first I thought it had to do with the computer sleeping… but I changed those settings to not put the computer to sleep when display dims. I also selected Powernap which should keep the drive alive. Any other suggestions?

Hi Chris,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us, I am sorry to hear that you are running into this issue, but I would be more than happy to assist!

Due to specific features of macOS, this issue may be related to how your individual system treats connected external drives via hubs connected to the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port. If you were to connect the external drive directly to the system (Via a USB-C to USB-A adapter if needed, does the same issue occur?)

This is a behavior that has been prevalent in macOS for quite sometime, and the main resolution is to download and use third party applications that essentially stop the external hard drive from sleeping.

Please let me know if it is possible to test the external drive connected directly to your system, and if the behavior occurs then as well. If not, we may need to direct you towards a “drive wake” software to keep the external hdd from going into low power mode.

Thank you for your time,
Marc
Product Owner & Technical Support
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Everyone,

We attempted to reach out to Chris in order to obtain some additional information, as well as work through some informative testing scenarios. We did not receive a reply back.

If Chris would like to continue troubleshooting, or anyone else is running into the same issue, please feel free to reach out to us directly at support@plugable.com. We would be more than happy to assist!

Thank you for your time,
Marc
Product Owner & Technical Support
www.plugable.com/support