Extending USB by using two USB to Ethernet adapters

I want to use two of the USB to Ethernet adapters with 150ft of ethernet cable in between to connect to a usb device using a system7 computer. will it work?

Hi strangeplant,

Thanks for posting your question here! No, you cannot use two USB to Ethernet Adapters with Ethernet cable in between to connect another USB device to the system. Sorry about that!

A USB to Ethernet has a USB 2.0 male A to RJ45 female adapter. It adds another Ethernet interface to your PC/laptop, via USB. What this means is that the USB Ethernet adapter, as with all typical USB devices, has to be plugged into an upstream computer host.

So although you could use two USB to Ethernet Adapters with Ethernet cable in between to connect two computer systems, it is not possible to connect another USB device to a computer with this setup.

Hope the above information helps! If you need any information or help regarding any of our devices, feel free to post back here or shoot us an email at support@plugable.com. We are here to help!

Regards,
Roze

Hi Roze, I purchased 2 Plugable usb 2.0 10/100 ethernet adapters with 100 ft. of ethernet cable to connect 2 older tivo tv DVR’s together. The 50 ft. ethernet cable is modified to be a cross over cable as per Tivo instructions.
I have it all hooked up and both the green and amber light are on constant. What do they both indicate?
I read your reply above, but does that also apply to my setup ?

Hi Larry,

Thanks for posting your question here! The Power (green) and Link (amber) LEDs light up when the adapter is powered and the connection is through. The Power LED which is green usually stays steady indicating that the unit is powered and working while the Link LED which is amber usually blinks as data transfers. If the cable is unplugged or the unit is not recognized by the upstream systems both the LEDs don’t light up.

The chipset inside the Plugable USB2-E100 is ASIX AX88772. Tivo has support for this chipset. As TiVo allows you to configure the network settings, you should not have trouble creating a peer-to-peer network with another DVR .

The Tivo boxes are host systems to the Plugable USB2-E100 Ethernet Adapters. It works the same way as connecting two Plugable USB2-E100 adapters to two computer systems and connecting them via Ethernet. This is the intended setup, unlike the one suggested by strangeplant where there was only one upstream computer system to which one Plugable USB2-E100 was connected while the other Plugable USB2-E100 was connected to a USB device and not a host system.

Hope the above information helps! If you need any information or help regarding any of our devices, feel free to post back here or shoot us an email at support@plugable.com. We are here to help!

Regards,
Roze