Ethernet port on USB-C 4K stopped working

Ethernet port was working
Ethernet cable has been verified, Laptop has been verified
Anything I can do to get the Ethernet to start working again ?

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to us, I am sorry to hear the Ethernet connection is not working and I am happy to help!

There are a wide range of issues that can affect the network connection from software like drivers or configuration settings, to hardware issues.

I recommend we start by getting some additional details about the specific docking station and the network connection. When you have a moment please let me know the specific model of the docking station, this can be found on the label on the bottom of the docking station as the last section of the support URL “plugable.com/ud-******” for our USB Type-C docking stations.

Additionally, when the Ethernet cable is connected to the docking station do you see either the green connectivity or amber activity LEDs either illuminated or flashing on the Ethernet port on the back of the docking station?

Is the Ethernet cable connected directly from the docking station to an Ethernet switch or switch port on a home router, or is it connected through a patch panel, wall socket/keystone jack, or through another device ( like an IP Phone system, or Surge Suppressor )?

Thank you for these additional details, I look forward to your rely email and we can proceed from here.

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Thanks for the response Pat

I recommend we start by getting some additional details about the specific docking station and the network connection. When you have a moment please let me know the specific model of the docking station, this can be found on the label on the bottom of the docking station as the last section of the support URL “plugable.com/ud-******” for our USB Type-C docking stations.

UD-ULTC-4K

Additionally, when the Ethernet cable is connected to the docking station do you see either the green connectivity or amber activity LEDs either illuminated or flashing on the Ethernet port on the back of the docking station?

There is NO green light for connectivity. I have swapped out cables and swapped out ports that I am connected to but I an not get the port to come active. I can use the same cables successfully on the same switch ports and on different network devices. So I know, it’s not the cable and it not the switchport(s)

Is the Ethernet cable connected directly from the docking station to an Ethernet switch or switch port on a home router, or is it connected through a patch panel, wall socket/keystone jack, or through another device ( like an IP Phone system, or Surge Suppressor )?

Directly connected. Not patch panels, no wiring through the walls etc

Thanks Pat

Also multiple reboots of the dock has resulted in no changes at all to the network port and it’s functionality

I just think it’s probably gone and I am not sure that there is any recourse

Pieter

Hi,

Thank you for the additional details, based on this I recommend we try fully resetting the docking station to see if we can get this detected again, when you have a moment please try the following even if you have tried some of these steps, the order of operations can affect the outcome:

1. Disconnect the docking station from the computer and remove the power connection from the back of the docking station, unplug all USB devices from the docking station, unplug the network cable from the docking station
  2. Disconnect the docking station’s power supply from the wall and let both the docking station and power supply sit for 30-90 seconds to fully discharge
  3. Restart the computer
    3.1. In Windows: Start > ( Power Icon ) > Restart
    3.2. In macOS: Apple Menu > Restart
  4. After 30-90 seconds, reconnect the power supply to the wall socket or power strip
  5. Reconnect the power supply to the docking station
    5.1. Verify the blue power LED is illuminated on the front of the docking station, please let me know if this does not come on when connected
  6. Reconnect the docking station to the computer
    6.1. Please be sure to use the original USB Type-C data cable provided with the docking station
    6.2. Connect the cable directly from the docking station to the computer, adapters, hubs, or cable extensions may reduce the docking station’s capabilities or prevent detection
  7. Connect the Ethernet cable to the docking station and check for the connectivity and activity LEDs, please let me know if they are still both off at this step
  8. Check for the external displays to be detected on the system, if they are not detected please let me know
  9. Reconnect USB devices to the docking station one at a time, test each device to make sure it is working before connecting the next device.

Please let me know if this helps, if not we can go from here.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Pat

This reset was all done

All displays are functional and working but the ethernet did not

The USB C is the original cable

Hi,

Thanks for going through the full reset process, I am sorry to hear this has not helped to restore the network connection.

Based on your description of the behavior I recommend we start the warranty replacement process. Please contact our support team via email at ‘support@plugable.com’ with the subject line ‘Ticket #437737 - Attention Pat’ and we can start the warranty replacement process.

Thank you, and I apologize for this inconvenience.

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com