Ethernet port not working

I just purchased this docking station and got it set up and working yesterday. Everything was working perfectly. However, after the first reboot of the system, the ethernet port just stopped showing up in Windows. I tried the DisplayLink cleaner solution that has been posted in other threads, reinstalled plugable’s DisplayLink drivers, but still can not see the ethernet port. I have confirmed that the ethernet port itself is working (link and activity lights are both flashing and my switch shows connectivity). However, I haven’t seen the network adapter come back ever in Windows.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us, I am sorry this is not working as expected and I am happy to help!

I recommend we start by checking to see if the Ethernet port is enabled in the Windows Device Manager, or if it is not being detected at the device level.

When you have a moment please try the following:

1. Right-click on the Windows Start Menu and select “Device Manager” from the pop-up list
  2. Look for any expanded entries with either a yellow triangle with black exclamation point, or a circle with a downward pointing arrow. The yellow triangle indicates an error while the circle indicates a disabled device
  3. Expand the “Network adapter” section
  4. If you see the “Plugable Ethernet” with the disabled device icon, please right-click on the “Plugable Ethernet” entry and select “Enable device” from the drop down menu and let me know if this restores the network connection

Otherwise, please let me know if the entry for Plugable Ethernet is not in the Network adapter section or shows up as having a device error and we can go from here.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

The Device Manager does not show the Plugable Ethernet adapter at all now.

Hi,

Thank you for checking for the Ethernet adapter in the Device Manager, our next step is to fully reset the docking station to see if this helps to get the Ethernet adapter to detect and gather some log files from the system to check for any incompatible software or drivers.

Based on your description I would like to start by resetting the docking station and computer to see if this helps to restore the functionality, please perform the following:

1. Disconnect the docking station from the computer and remove the power connection from the back of the docking station, unplug all USB devices from the docking station
  2. Disconnect the docking station’s power supply from the wall and let both the docking station and power supply sit for 30-90 seconds to fully discharge
  3. Restart the computer: In Windows 10: Start → ( Power Icon ) → Restart
  4. After 30-90 seconds, reconnect the power supply to the wall socket or power strip
  5. Reconnect the power supply to the docking station
  • verify the blue power LED is illuminated on the front of the docking station, please let me know if this does not come on
  1. Reconnect the docking station to the computer, please verify the USB cables are fully seated on both the docking station and the computer
  • check for the external displays to be detected on the system, if they are not detected please restart the system and let me know if they are not detected after the restart
  1. Reconnect USB devices to the docking station one at a time, test each device to make sure it is working before connecting the next device.

Please let me know if this helps, if not we can gather some log files from the computer using our PlugDebug log gathering tool:

If you would, please keep the dock connected to the computer with monitor(s) and network cable connected to the dock, and attach the output of our diagnostic utility PlugDebug ( http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug ) to an email to ‘support@plugable.com’ with the subject line ‘Ticket #319406: Attention Pat’ as this will allow us to examine some log files from your system to help determine the next steps.

I look forward to your response,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Hello,

We’re closing this thread due to inactivity, but if you have any further questions please feel free to contact support@plugable.com and we’ll be happy to help.

Thanks,

Pat
Plugable Technologies