Ethernet Port and HDMI Port No Longer Recognized

I have had my UD-3900H for just over a year (purchased 5/21/2019 on Amazon). From the beginning, It has performed very well.

It is connected to a USB 3.0 port on my Dell Precision 3520 Laptop – running Windows 10 1803. I have a number of USB devices connected (e.g., Corsair gaming keyboard & mouse, and Corsair USB wireless headphones), a 55" 4K TCL TV attached via HDMI as my primary monitor and a wired Ethernet connection to my router.

A few times (3? 4?) in the last few months, Windows seems to lose visibility of the DisplayLink controller and 4K monitor. Until this morning, it has always recovered after a couple of minutes of wildly switching from the 4K monitor to the internal laptop screen, resizing and rearranging all my open windows and then, without any explanation, returning everything to the way it was before the madness started. This happened last night in the middle of an Zoom meeting with a potential employer. Imagine my horror! Thankfully, all was well after a couple of minute.

This morning, it happened again in the midst of a Microsoft Teams meeting with a teammate. This time, I lost the DisplayLink adapter AND the Ethernet adapter. After a couple of hours uinstalling and reinstalling drivers, powering devices off and back on, running DisplayLInk Cleaner per direction found elsewhere in this forum and, generally, banging my head against the wall, it looks like I’ve lost my DisplayLink and Ethernet ports permanently.

All the other USB devices are working as expected.

I work from home and due to vision problems, working on a 13" laptop screen is simply not an option. The Plugable UD-3900H was a godsend and now I can’t live – or work – without it.

Can anyone offer any advice here???

Hi Rick,

Thanks for contacting us! I am sorry this is not working as expected.

Based on your description of the behavior, the disconnections could be caused by out of date graphics drivers on the computer. The current problem with the displays not working may be related to the graphics drivers or to the clean installation process. Some of the posts on this forum link to older DisplayLink driver versions that are no longer compatible with modern Windows 10 systems. Our first step is to get some additional information from your system to help determine the cause of this behavior.

I am sorry for the inconvenience, if you would, please keep the dock connected and the 4K display attached (even though it is not working) and run our PlugDebug log gathering utility (available from our website here: http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug). Once the tool has completed the 4K display can be connected to the HDMI port to the laptop. The PlugDebug log gathering tool will create a zip file on the desktop, please attach this zip file to an email to our support team at ‘support@plugable.com’ with the subject line ‘Ticket #313872 - Attention Pat’ and I will take a look for any out of date drivers, software, or device errors that may be causing this behavior and provide the next steps.

Thanks,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

The PlugDebug .ZIP file should be in your inbox.

Thanks!

Hi Rick,

I have not received the email with the attached zip file. I just wanted to check-in with you and make sure you had sent the email to ‘support@plugable.com’ with the subject line ‘Ticket #313872 - Attention Pat’?

The PlugDebug utility does not automatically send the email, it creates the zip file on the desktop which can then be manually attached to a new email ( normally using a ‘paperclip’ shaped icon in most email clients ).

Please let me know if you received a “failed to deliver” message or similar error when sending the email with the zip file attached.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Hi Rick,

Thank you for letting me know via email the replacement has resolved this issue. I will go ahead and mark this thread as closed.

Thank you!

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com