Ethernet not working on UD-3900 connected to HP Envy x360

I have had a UD-3900 for a few years. I had no problem connecting to my Lenovo T440 (work laptop) and Lenovo Y50 (personal laptop). However, I just got a new HP x360. I find the Ethernet will work for a few mins but then it stops. It also stops the WiFi on my laptop from working as well. I can unplug the cable and the wifi will work fine but obviously I want the benefit of the wired Ethernet. Is there some setting I need to change?

Hello Robert, thanks for posting! If possible, does disabling WiFi while the Ethernet cable connected help? This could help rule out network interface conflicts.

Pending the results from that test, we’ll want to reinstall the DisplayLink drivers and run the DisplayLink cleaner tool to make sure that the software used by our dock is in a good state. To do so, please follow these steps:

1. Disconnect the dock from the system and please remove the power cable from the dock so it turns off completely (this is important so the unit resets). Please keep it disconnected until the last step.
  2. Uninstall any and all software with ‘DisplayLink’ in the title that is present from within the Control Panel -> Programs and Features. Don’t worry if these entries are not present or if the process does not work, just move onto the next step
  3. Download, extract and run the DisplayLink cleaner tool, found here –> https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin…
  4. Once the Cleaner has been run, reboot (even if not prompted to)
  5. Now download and install the 8.4 M2 DisplayLink software, found here –> https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin…
  6. Reattach the power cable to the dock first. Once the dock is powered on, reconnect it to your system which will trigger the final portion of the installation. If the device is not detected, please click the ‘Skip’ button to allow the process to complete and then reboot the system.

Please let us know if these steps help or not whenever you have a moment and we will go from there.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

I finally got a chance to try your fix. It seemed to work initially (for around 24 hours), but then the problem reappeared again. It seemed to happen when i was downloading a significant amount of data but that still shouldn’t be the case because i would do the same with my other laptops with no issue

Hi Robert, thanks for the update and sorry to hear that the same behavior occurs. Can you let us know the status of the LED lights on the Ethernet port on the dock when the connection drops? Typically you should see a solid green light and a flashing amber light

Does temporarily disabling WiFi while the Ethernet port on the dock is in use help?

Does this occur regardless of USB port on your HP laptop that the dock is connected to?

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

So I do see a green light and a flashing orange light. However, on my laptop, under Ethernet it says Unidentified network and No Internet. There is only one standard USB port on my laptop (the rest are USB-C.

If i run the network troubleshooter, it will reset the ethernet adapter, saying that the adapter didn’t have a valid IP configuration and I will start to get connectivity but it will only last for a little while before the connectivity disappears

Hi Robert, thanks for the reply. Based off of this it could be a faulty Ethernet port and we can certainly send you a replacement under warranty. I will reach out to your email address that is associated with your forum account to facilitate this process.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support