Ethernet Doesnt connect at all

Hello, when plugging in my ethernet into this device, it doesn’t issue a valid IP and therefore doesn’t connect to the internet at all so am forced to use the laptops ethernet (not what I purchased this dock for). Any ideas how to resolve this? Im on Windows 10 and using the UD 3900 Dock via a USB 3 port. Thanks,

Hello and thank you for posting!

I am sorry things are not working as expected with your UD-3900 docking station and I would be happy to help.

Based on your description of the behavior, I have a few quick questions for you:

1. If you replace the current Ethernet cable with another new cable (if you have one available) does that help?

Apologies if the question appears in any way redundant, however in our experience helping others in many similar cases the cause was traced back to the Ethernet cable in use, so the intent is to rule out the Ethernet cable as the cause from the start. ** I know you mention that the Ethernet cable works when connected to the laptop’s built-in Ethernet port, however there are cases where a cable that works directly connected to the laptop may not work when connected to the dock. **

1. Would you happen to have a VOIP desk phone connected between the dock and the network connection? If yes, if you remove the VOIP phone and connect the dock directly to your network connection does the behavior change? I ask because the 2-port Ethernet switch in some VOIP phones can sometimes cause problems.

2. When the Ethernet cable is connected to the dock, can you let please me know the status of the indicator lights within the Ethernet port on the back side of the dock itself? Typically there should be a solid green link light and flashing yellow/amber activity light.

3. Would you happen to be in an enterprise environment that has security policies in place that require new wired Ethernet network devices to be registered before they will work?

4. If you are in a home environment (as opposed to corporate or office environment), if you restart your internet provider’s modem and/or network router does that change the behavior?

Thank you for giving us the chance to help!

Bob
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.