Ethernet Connection Limited or No Connectivity

UD-160-A USB 2.0 - Ethernet connection shows limited or no connectivity

Hi wmcnamar,

Thanks for contacting plugable support. We’ll be able to help! First, let’s get a little more information.

1. Can you tell me what Operating System you are using and the make and model of computer you are connecting to?

2. Are there any lights on the back of the dock where the ether net cable plugs in, if so what color?

3. What happens if you plug the ethernet cable into the computer directly? Can you then get online?

Reply back with these answers and we’ll figure out next steps.

Thanks,
Jerome.

Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 with SP3
HP Pavillion dv5237cl

I gave the connection a static IP address and I am now able to connect, but shouldn’t it reconise DHCP?

Plugging the cable into the computer works fine with DHCP.

Hi wmcnamar,

Thanks for the additional information. The fact that it is working with the static IP address, means all the drivers are installed and the device is functioning. Thanks for doing that troubleshooting. Now we’ll have to find out why the DHCP server isn’t giving you an address for the new adapter. If you have access to the router you are behind, reset the router. If you are on a campus or other network there may be policies limiting the network hardware that is allowed access. If that’s the case you’ll have to contact the network administrator. Can you tell what type of network you are connecting to?

Thanks again,
Jerome.

I rest my personal home router and that did not work. It grabs an Autoconfiguration IP Address of 169.254.0.0 and Subnet Mask of 255.255.0.0

Hi Wayne,

If you send a quick email to us at support@plugable.com with your Amazon order number and a link to this thread, we’ll troubleshoot and get this issue resolved.

Thanks for your patience!

Regards,
Roze

Done