E-1000 won't work at 1Gbps, only slower speeds. How do fix it?

I bought your USB2-E-1000 gigabit adapter in increase lan speed to my laptop. I downloaded and installed your drivers but they only work at 100 mb. If I go into adapter settings and force it to the 1 Gbps speed instead of auto negotiate or a lower speed, the port disconnects. My built-in port goes at 100 Mbos so this is not useful to me unless it will go at the faster speed. How can I fix this? Thanks.

Thanks for posting to ask! We’ll be able to help.

To get gigabit speeds, the network and the devices talking on it need to be gigabit devices (including and especially the upstream Ethernet switch or router). Here’s some good background on that:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/g…

Do you know what make / model of Ethernet router your PC is connecting to? Do you have other gigabit devices on the network?

Also a quick note that what Windows reports as 100 Mbps or 1000 Mbps is the mode the network driver is in, in terms of theoretical maximum – it doesn’t reflect practical speeds. Those will be lower than the theoretical max.

Just let us know a bit more about your network configuration, and we should be able to track down what’s limiting communication to 100 Mbps.

Thanks again!
Bernie

I’m having a similar slowdown problem with a HP Pavillion DV6000. It’s connected to a USB 2.0 port talking to a NAS with gigabit capability. The gigabit router is a DIR-655 and I’m using CAT6 cables throughout. I’m only getting at maximum 186Mbit LAN throughput. The adapter connects properly to the internet and Windows network manager recognizes a 1Gbit connection, but the speeds are much slower than anticipated.

Hi Tony,
Even if the E-100 was connecting @ 1Gbit, the USB2.0 side of things would restrict throughput to an absolute maximum speed of 480Mbps [Max USB2.0 Speed].

Actual throughput will be probably be lower than this though - about 320Mbps (40MB/s) according to some sites on the web - though your exact throughput will depend on

* How efficent the E-100 windows driver is.
* What other devices you have on the same USB Hub sharing the intenal link.
* The effiency of your USB2.0/Chipset drivers and the performance of your CPU/Motherboard.

it all needs to be able service interrupts at least as fast as a maxed out USB2.0 link would be generating them.

Though in truth to get anywhere near a true 1Gbit connection you would need to have a USB3.0 (up to 4.8Gbps) to Ethernet adaptor - USB 2.0 just won’t do it.