DVI/VGA Monitor Resolution Screen Clipping

Hi.
I have an HP 24es monitor attached via the DVI/VGA connection on the docking station but when I maximise anything on it, the top edge of the application is not visible. E.g. with chrome you can’t see the tabs, with excel you can’t see the top bar. Neither of these are show-stoppers but it would be great if there was a simple solution. I can drag the window size to “fill” the screen which is the only workaround I’ve found.

I’m using a Dell XPS 13, running windows 10. I also have a monitor attached with the HDMI connection and this one is fine. Otherwise - great product.

Hope you can help.
Thanks
Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting, and I would be happy to help with your UD-3900 docking station!

Thank you as well for the detail you provided that is much appreciated. The UD-3900 cannot affect the image on the connected display as you describe, and in similar the cases the root cause was determined to be the settings within the display itself.

To expand further, when a display is connected using a VGA video cable (which carries an analog video signal) as you describe it is sometimes necessary to manually adjust the image settings within the display in order for the image to appear correctly. HP speaks to these adjustment options on electronic pages 22-24 in your display manual → http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05105530

Based on your description, it sounds like you may just need to adjust the ‘vertical position’ setting that HP states is available. From pages 23-24 of the manual:

1. Press the Menu button on the bottom of the front bezel to open the OSD menu, and then select Image Position.

2. Press the Function buttons on the bottom of the front bezel that display up and down arrow icons to properly adjust the position of the image in the display area of the monitor. The Horizontal Position shifts the image left or right; the Vertical Position shifts the image up and down."

Please let us know if that information helps!

Bob
Plugable Technologies

P.S. It appears that your HP 24es monitor has two video inputs, one VGA and one HDMI. An alternative to using the included DVI to VGA converter and the VGA video cable you are presently using would be an inexpensive HDMI-DVI video cable such as this → http://amazon.com/dp/B014I8UQJY

The DVI end of this cable will connect to the DVI video output of the dock (the DVI to VGA converter will no longer be needed), and the HDMI end of the cable will connect to the HDMI video input of the HP 24es display. This cable will carry a digital video signal, so most likely the adjustments described above would not be necessary.

Hey Bob.

Perfect. That’s fixed the problem.

Thanks for your help and for recommending the DVI/HDMI cable.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you for getting back with the update, and you are of course most welcome for the help. I am glad to hear that everything is now working as expected.

Please let us know if you need any help in the future, and please have a good day!

Bob

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.