DVI output not working with DVI-HDMI cable, only with DVI-VGA

Have checked the forum and although there are some similar problems, I’ve can’t see this particular one. The issue may be down to user error, but here goes.

Running a Surface Pro that’s about 2 years old, Intel i5 7300U 2.6GHz 8GB RAM. Plugable drivers are up to date.

I bought the docking station to move to a 3 display set up and I’ve got it connected to 2 Samsung 22" monitors (one new, one about 3 years old).

I’ve tested the connections on both monitors. With either monitor, I can run a 3 screen display, with one monitor connected from the docking station HDMI port and the other from the DVI port, using the DVI-VGA connector.

Using an Amazon Basics DVI-HDMI cable with either monitor results in the monitor no longer being seen by Windows (Detect in Display Settings doesn’t find the monitor on the DVI-HDMI connection) and I go back to a 2 display set up (Surface screen plus the monitor connected to the docking station’s HDMI port).

Both the monitors are set at 1920 x 1080 resolution.

I’m not sure if this is a problem with the DVI-HDMI cable or screen settings or even if I’ve just mis-understood specs, and the docking station DVI doesn’t support DVI-HDMI cables.

Hi John,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support, and welcome to our support forums. We’re always happy to help.

Using DVI to HDMI adapters or adapter cables should work well with your docking station since these cables and adapters are bi-directional. Usually the problems we see are users who are trying to go from HDMI to DisplayPort without the correct adapters.

It’s possible that the adapter cable is defective or maybe the DVI port on your docking station is not working properly and we are here to help. To learn more about your setup I’d like to ask you to run our PlugDebug tool and send us the logs so we can review your setup to see what the issue might be. Please do not post the PlugDebug logs here, and instead e-mail them to support@plugable.com and include “ticket #287326” in the subject line so we can connect the threads.

We have a troubleshooting tool that helps us find out what is going on in situations like this. Please plug the device into your computer, then go to this page and follow the instructions there: http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug

I look forward to hearing back from you and helping with the issue.

Thanks!
-Andrew T.
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.