DVI Monitor not working with HP USB-C Dock G5 and USB2-SWITCH2

I have and HP Pavillion Desktop and HP Elite book plugged into the plugable USB2-SWITCH2. That is plugged into the HP USB-C Dock G5. Then using the display port into the DVI port of my View Sonic monitor. The monitor is not being recognized by either the laptop or the desktop. Other accessories plugged into the docking stations (keyboard, mouse) are found and switch as I expect. What am I missing?

Hello Scott,

Thanks for contacting Plugable support! I’m sorry to hear about this display issue through your Plugable Switch, but I’d be happy to help!

Unfortunately, our USB Sharing switch wouldn’t support your HP, USB-C Dock.

Our USB switch does not support USB-C connections but only USB-A connections.

Additionally, a USB-A to USB-C adapter wouldn’t support the video conversion needed for USB-C(Alt-mode) from your HP docking station.

We recommend using our USB sharing switch with a USB 3.0 docking station to achieve switching the monitors between systems.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this process.

If this product doesn’t fit your needs, I’d be happy to help with a return.

Thank you,

Omar D.
Plugable Technologies

Can I use usb 3.0 switch 2 with the HP g5 docking station

Is there a different plugable switch that I can use? If not what docking station would you recommend? I am using an HP pavilion desktop I don’t have usb 3.0 ports only usb. The elite book has usb 3.0 ports. I have a Logitech usb wireless keyboard and mouse, usb wireless headphones. My monitor is a view sonic which is dvi. I also have Ethernet going into my desktop. Ideally, I want a switch to flip everything between the desktop and the laptop

Hello Scott,

Thank you for reaching back out.

Our USB 3.0 Sharing switch wouldn’t support the USB-C HP g5 docking station.

Unfortunately, we don’t offer a USB-C Sharing switch yet.

We recommend using our USB Sharing switch with USB 3.0 systems.

Our UD-6950H Dual dock is a USB 3.0 dock that would be compatible with our Sharing Switch.

I am using an HP pavilion desktop I don’t have usb 3.0 ports only usb.

Could you provide me with the model/serial number? This would allow me to check the compatibility of your system.

Thank you for allowing us to help,

Omar D.
Plugable Technologies

HP Pavilion HPE h8-1120 Desktop

Serial number 4CE13306MB, Omar do you need any other information

Hello Scott,

Thank you for reaching out with that information.

Based on the specs of your HP Pavilion HPE h8-1120 Desktop, I didn’t see that this system supports USB 3.0 or USB-C.

How is the HP USB-C Dock G5 connected to the system?

In this case, I can recommend our UGA-165 graphics adapter.

This would allow you to connect your DVI monitor to your computer/switch and switch between systems.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this process.

Thank you,

Omar D.
Plugable Technologies

Hi Omar -
I was trying to plug the g5 docking station into the switch, and connecting the switch to the computer. The monitor I was trying to plug into the docking station going display port to DVI. The only thing not working in this configuration is the monitor. Obviously the docking station is not compatible with the switch and the desktop computer. So I give up. I am just going to send everything back

Hello Scott,

Thank you for reaching out with that update.

In this case, I would agree that the G5 docking station would not be compatible with your system and our sharing switch.

Sorry that things did not work as they should!

Please let me know if you need any assistance with returning your device.

Best wishes,

Omar D.
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.