Dual monitors - one not working

Having issues connecting 2 monitors to Acer Aspire 5740 laptop. This is a 64-bit laptop running Win 7 Professional. Per your suggestion from earlier question submitted, I ordered two pieces of equipment from you: the UD-160-A docking station and the UGA-2K-A (via Amazon). I have 2 identical Dell 1704 FPV monitors. They are capable of being connected via a DVI or a VGA cable. I prefer to have both be DVI. When I connect a monitor to the DVI port on the UD-160-A - that monitor has terrible flicker and horizontal color lines and scrolling. I have tried using a VGA adapter and connecting the same monitor via a VGA cable to the DVI port - with same results. So using VGA or DVI to the DVI port on the UD-160-A - the monitor has flicker and nothing can be viewed on that screen. I have the UGA-2K-A hooked up to one of the USB ports on the docking station. Have the 2nd monitor connected to it via DVI (or VGA) and either works fine. Have tried switching monitors to rule out a monitor problem - the issue follows whichever monitor is connected to to the docking station DVI port (whether straight DVI or with a VGA adapter). Extend is set in display properties and resolution on both external monitors is identical as1280x1024. Once both external monitors are connected (and working) the intention is to close the laptop lid and not use its display when it is connected to the dock. Also tried moving the monitor that is connected to the UGA-2K-A to a USB port directly on the laptop as opposed to the docking station, thinking maybe two monitors on the docking station was too much. That monitor worked fine - however, the monitor remaining on the DVI port on the UD-160-A still flickers and is not usable.

My only conclusion is a defective DVI port on the UD-160-A? My Amazon order was 104-4745234-8629837 (7/31/10). Just now got around to hooking these up on my daughter’s new laptop.

Great, thanks for the quick reply. I have emailed support with an alternative shipping address. Would you recommend that when the new unit arrives, I remove/reinstall the software as well, or just re-attach the peripherals to the new unit? Let me know if and how I should return the original unit. Last - I want to be sure I am correct in assuming that both monitors should work as described connected via DVI - one to the DVI port, and one via the UGA-2K-A attached via USB to the docking station? Thanks, again.

Hi Jayme - Yes, the 2 DVI monitors - one to dock, one to the adapter connected to the dock - that will work and it’s a very common way of using this hardware. The problem appears to be with this particular dock unit as you’ve figured out – not anything you’ve done. The replacement to confirm that is on its way to you (with a bit of a delay because of Labor Day).

When the unit arrives, no need to do anything with software. Since we know the UGA-2K-A is working fine, that means when a good UD-160-A unit is plugged in, it will be detected and should work automatically. Just let us know.

Thanks again!
Bernie

Received new unit yesterday and hooked it up this morning - 2nd monitor came up just fine this time. Shortly thereafter I got a notification of DisplayLink software update, which I installed. After a reboot, all is still working great. Thanks for the prompt turnaround of a new dock! Always pleased with the great support.

Received new unit yesterday and hooked it up this morning - 2nd monitor came up just fine this time. Shortly thereafter I got a notification of DisplayLink software update, which I installed. After a reboot, all is still working great. Thanks for the prompt turnaround of a new dock! Always pleased with the great support.

Hi Jayme,

Ah, how frustrating!

Thanks for doing the testing of different combinations of hardware. It certainly points to a bad graphics output on the UD-160-A unit. We’ll get a new unit to you right away, sent to the same address as your original order.

Just email support@plugable.com if it should go to a different address or you have any other details. And please let us know if all’s well, once the new unit arrives.

We’re sorry, and thanks for your purchase and your patience while we get you fixed up!
Bernie