Hello. I purchased the plugable 3.0 docking station 10 months ago to use with a laptop and a dual 24" display setup. Everything has been working perfectly up until today. I started the laptop and neither of the monitors were working. In windows display settings, it would not detect any external monitors. I disconnected the HDMI cable and plugged it directly to the laptop and it worked so it’s not the cable and not the monitor so I suspect the dock has failed in some way.
Anything I can try before asking for warranty support?
Hello and thank you for posting!
I am sorry things have stopped working as expected with your UD-3900 docking station and I would be happy to help.
Based on your description of the behavior, our first step is to completely reset the dock and perform a ‘clean’ installation of the latest version we recommend of the required DisplayLink driver to help ensure both are in a good state. To do so, please follow these steps:
- Please disconnect the dock from the system and please disconnect the power cable from the dock so it turns off completely (this is important so the unit resets). Please keep everything disconnected until the last step.
- Uninstall any and all software with ‘DisplayLink’ in the title that is present from within the Control Panel → Programs and Features. Don’t worry if these entries are not present or if the process does not work, please just move onto the next step.
- Download and run the DisplayLink Installation Cleaner utility, found here → https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin/DisplayLink/DisplayLink+Installation+Cleaner+9.1.1462.exe and ensure it displays “Cleaning Complete” when done (video walk-through if you need it → https://youtu.be/AcVV1gD_FvI)
- Once the Cleaner has been run, reboot the system (even if not prompted to).
- Now download and install the latest DisplayLink software driver, found here → https://plugable.com/pages/displaylink
- Reconnect the power cable to the dock first. Once the dock is powered on (a blue light will be present on the front), reconnect it to your system. If the device is not detected, please reboot the system.
Please let us know if that helps!
I’m having the same problem. Last night both monitors were working fine. This morning neither of them works. Here’s what I have tried:
- Update the DisplayLink driver.
- Followed the above instructions for a clean install.
- Connected only a single HDMI monitor directly to the docking station, leaving the VGA monitor disconnected.
- Looking for ‘disconnected monitors’ in windows settings. Only one monitor is shown; this is the laptop screen. No external monitors are detected.
- Connecting the HDMI monitor directly to the laptop - (i.e. circumventing the dock) this works fine.
- Check for the latest driver for USB3 - this was in place, but I installed the latest windows update cumulative anyway. I don’t know if this had anything for do with USB3 drivers…
- I tried a different USB cable.
The mouse and keyboard work through the dock.
An external usb drive also works.
When I connect the dock I get a ‘The last usb device you connected malfunctioned’ warning. I tried connecting it alone -i.e. with no other USB devices connected to it- and got the same message.
Is there anytthing else I can try? Is my dock faulty?
Thank you for posting! I am sorry that things have stopped working as expected with your docking station and I would be happy to help.
Thank you as well for the detail you provided and the troubleshooting you have already performed that is much appreciated.
Based on your description of the behavior, our next step is to get some additional information.
Please keep everything connected (even though not working) and send the output of our diagnostic utility PlugDebug → http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug to us directly via firstname.lastname@example.org
This will allow us to examine some log files from your system to help determine the next steps. Please also include the Amazon Order ID number for the dock purchase.
*** Please do not post the PlugDebug file or Amazon Order ID number in our public forum ***
Thank you for giving us the chance to help!