DP to HDMI active adapter - No signal detected

Hi Plugable Support,

Good day.

Our company bought DP to HDMI active adapters for our Dell Optiplex 980 computers.

• VGA is working fine
  • display port only has signal during boot process, when it is time for windows login, no signal will be detected
  • DP-HDMI adapter from other brand is working

I tested with different HDMI cables and different monitors and same results happen.
HDMI cables are working when I tested it using different monitor and CPU.

Hope you can help me with these as we are about to return the items.

Thank you.

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us, I am happy to help!

Thank you for letting me know the system model, can you let me know the manufacturer name and model number of the working DisplayPort to HDMI graphics adapters? Based on the age of the system the Intel Graphics Controller may not be compatible with Active DisplayPort to HDMI graphics adapters when using the Windows 10 default drive for this graphics controller, but may work with the passive adapter or before the graphics driver loads ( during the POST process ).

The Intel Integrated Graphics in these computers are limited to DisplayPort 1.1 and support up to 2560x1600 on the DisplayPort on the main-board. If the system has a discrete graphics card the original cards included with this system support a variety of display resolutions ( https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/optiplex-980-tech-guide.pdf page 27-32 ).

Please let me know if the graphics adapters are being connected directly to the Dell Optiplex’s main-board DisplayPort output, or to a discrete graphics card ( and if possible the specific model of the graphics card ).

Thank you for these additional details, they will help to determine our next steps.

Pat
Plugable Technology

Hi Pat_P,

The working adapter is Benfei X0018QFECP.
The adapter is connected to the onboard DP output.

Thank you.

Hi,

Thanks for the additional details!

It’s very strange this isn’t working while another active adapter is. The only difference I can see between these adapters is the Benfei adapter is capable of converting from DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 1.4 while our adapter converts to HDMI 2.0, however I would not expect this to affect the output.

Additionally our adapter is working when the computer initially posts but not after the system loads, which normally points to a driver conflict between Windows 10 and the legacy Intel Graphics drivers.

Would it be possible to try a few configurations to see if there is any difference in this behavior?

1. Boot the computer with only the Plugable DisplayPort to HDMI graphics adapter connected to the system ( disconnecting the VGA cable before powering on the computer ).
  2. Connect the Plugable DisplayPort to HDMI graphics adapter after the computer has loaded the Windows desktop.

Please let me know if the display is detected in either of these configurations, if the display is not detected in the first configuration, the VGA cable can be reconnected and the VGA display should be detected allowing you to continue using Windows.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology

Hi Pat,

1. Signal is detected only during the boot process.
  2. No signal detected.

I checked with the CPU’s supplier if they have any issues, they were able to have signal in the DP even when using passive adapters.

Thank you.

Hi,

Thanks for giving that a try, I am sorry to see it didn’t help.

Based on this it looks like the adapter is working ( initially on the system ) but is either not being detected or addressed correctly when the operating system has loaded. I have had similar reports on slightly older Intel Graphics hardware running the current version of Windows 10, where the adapter worked correctly on the same computer running Linux. I don’t have a system running the same Intel graphics and I am unable to replicate this behavior on a system with a slightly newer graphics version.

I am hoping to get a hold of a similar generation system tomorrow or Friday from another technician to see if we can replicate this problem. If you like I would like to offer either a replacement adapter to se if this has any different behavior, or to return this graphics adapter for a full refund, please send an email to ‘support@plugable.com’ with the subject line ‘Ticket #289701 - Attention Pat’ and include your Amazon Order ID ( available from Amazon.com/orders ) for the original purchase of the graphics adapter and your preferred shipping address if you would like to receive a replacement. Please also let me know in the email if you prefer the replacement or return and I can get this started. Our lab will pretest the replacement adapter to make sure it is working as expected before shipping it out.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology

Hi Pat,

Were you able to test the adapters with similar generation of Intel graphics cards?

Thank you.

Hi,

Thanks for checking in, I was able to find a system running a i5-3xxx series processor with an Intel HD 4000 series graphics processor, two generations newer than the GPU in your system, this adapter did work with the HD 4000 graphics with Windows 10 x64 in an Intel NUC system. I have been unable to find a system in our offices that has the same Intel HD “Ironlake” graphics as your processor and have been checking around some of our technicians’ older computers to see if we can put our hands on a similar computer, but I don’t have high hopes at this point.

I am sorry I don’t have better news.

Pat
Plugable Technology

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.