DP Output to DVI input

Hello guys,
I bought the Plugable TBT3-UDV Thunderbolt™ 3 Dock with Host Charging and am trying to connect my old Display with an Displayport to DVI-D caple I had lying around. It is the only monitor I have. Sadly It does not work… My question:

DO I have to use one of the Plugable DisplayPort and Mini DisplayPort/Thunderbolt Passive Adapters and if yes, do I need an active or passive adapter? Should I use the DP or mini USB or normal USB output.

I would appreciate the help!! Thanks

Hi David,

Thank you for posting!

The TBT3-UDV dock has one built-in DisplayPort video output. If this output needs to be converted to any other video standard, then an ‘Active’ video adapter is required, and we do our best to call this out in our product listings. It is for this reason that we include in the box with the dock an Active DisplayPort to HDMI adapter.

** ‘Passive’ video cables or adapters will not work ** Given your description of the behavior, the cable you have is a passive cable and that is why it is not working.

If you need to connect a single DVI display to the dock, the most inexpensive method would be to purchase separately a HDMI to DVI video cable such as this example → http://amazon.com/dp/B014I8UQJY This cable can be used in conjunction with the included Active DisplayPort to HDMI adapter to connect your DVI display to the TBT3-UDV.

To put that another way, things would be connected like this:

TBT3-UDV dock built-in DisplayPort video output → Active DisplayPort to HDMI adapter (included in box with dock) → HDMI to DVI video cable (a cable with a HDMI connector on one end and a DVI connector on the opposite end, not included) → DVI input of the display

Please let us know if you have any additional questions, and thank you for giving us the chance to help!

Bob
Plugable Technologies

1 Like

Thank you very much. I tried it and it works great!

Hi David,

Thank you getting back to us with the update, and you are of course most welcome for the help. I am glad things are now working as expected.

Please let us know if you need any help in the future!

Bob

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.