DP-HDMI Rev B outputs only a blue display with AMD 2020 Graphics Drivers

I have a post going on over at AMD’s forum, linked [here].

The card I’m using is an AMD Radeon Pro WX4100. When I use AMD’s 2019 Enterprise drivers from 2019 19Q4 or 2019 Adrenalin drivers before 2019.12, output to HDMI works fine. The adapter is plugged into output one (of four) directly into a Samsung Q6FN TV.

Once I switch to Adrenalin 2019.12 or Enterprise 20Q1 drivers, all that appears is a blue image on the screen. I’m trying to refrain from calling it a “blue screen” since the implication is the system crashed. It doesn’t. I can RDP into it, and all is working, but I cannot see anything but blue on the TV.

The fix was to swap out the Plugable DP-HDMI Rev B adapter for Microsoft Surface mDP-HDMI adapter. Otherwise I have to downgrade drivers and stick with Adrenalin < 2019.12 or Enterprise 19Q4.

I’m not sure what the interaction between these new drivers is with the Plugable adapter. The same output port when connected directly to a DP monitor works fine.

Enterprise 20Q1 driver (and by extent Adrenalin 2019.12 or higher) & Plugable DP-HDMI adapter:

I have other images to illustrate what does/doesn’t work, but as a new poster, I could only upload one. Feel free to look at my post in the AMD forum for more.

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us, I am sorry this is not working as expected and I am happy to help!

I have searched online and found other AMD users with similar issues using different DisplayPort to HDMI graphics adapters and the AMD 2020 graphics driver. The common cause seems to be the new Radeon Graphics Drivers are reducing the link speed when connected to some adapters. This appears to be a bug in the software.

At this time my recommendation is to roll back to the working driver version, hopefully AMD will fix this in the next driver release. It may be possible to manually set the correct settings in the AMD graphics software by following the instructions on this thread: https://community.amd.com/thread/246174 for clarity I will copy them below:

1. Set your resolution to 3840x2160 in the Windows Display Settings menu
  2. Go into the “lovely designed” AMD software and create a custom resolution with these settings:
  3. Go into Windows Display settings again, choose “Advanced Display Settings” then choose “Display Adapter properties for Display x” at the bottom.
  4. Once the menu opens, choose 3840x2160 @60hz at the bottom.

For rolling back the drivers, the previous Radeon driver releases can be found here ( https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/professional-graphics/radeon-pro/radeon-pro-wx-x100-series/radeon-pro-wx-4100 ), the latest of the previously released drivers is 19.Q4.1 from December 10th 2019.

Please let me know if either of the above options, rolling back the drivers, or manually configuring the display help and we can go from there.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Pat,

This is super-helpful. My suspicion was a change in driver behavior. AMD at least takes 2-3 months to “roll up” features from their Adrenalin drivers into the Enterprise drivers. When Adrenalin broke the output, it took about 2 months (or 1 release) for Enterprise to break.

Hopefully they get this sorted out soon.

Hi,

I hope this is resolved soon as well, up until now we have had no problems with AMD Radeon graphics cards and this looks like it will start affecting many users potentially going as far back as the R9-280x series of graphics cards.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions, I am happy to help!

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology

Hello,

We’re closing this thread due to inactivity, but if you have any further questions please feel free to contact support@plugable.com and we’ll be happy to help.

Thanks,

Pat
Plugable Technologies
support@plugable.com