DP-HDMI active adaptor not outputting 4k 60hz

Hi all,

I have just bought the adaptor and for the life of me I can’t seem to get 4k 60hz the highest I get is 4k 30hz. Now it is an old GPU but I’m pretty sure the DP can output 4k 60hz(EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 4Gb and I’m using an hdmi 2.0 cable and I’m connecting it to a Philips 49PUS6803 4k UHD smart tv with excepts 4k 60hz via hdmi 2 and 3. I have set both hdmi ports to UHD “optimal”. Still no luck. I do also have two other monitors connect from the GPU via the hdmi and the DVI-D.

I hope someone will be able to help and many thanks in advance.

Phil

Hello Phil, thanks for posting and I’ll be happy to help.

Looking at the manual of the TV (https://www.download.p4c.philips.com/files/5/55pus6803_12/55pus6803_12_dfu_eng.pdf) there may be some other settings we can adjust. These settings pertain to HDR imaging, which our adapter does not support. The first is to see if setting the “Picture style” to “Monitor.” This setting can be found by going to Home > Settings > Picture style (noted on page 32 of the manual). You may need to reconnect the HDMI cable to the TV and/or restart the TV for these changes to take effect.

If Monitor is already set as the Picture style or if changing this setting does not help, does disabling “HDR Plus” help? This setting can be found by going to Home > Settings > All settings > Picture > Expert mode settings > HDR Plus and you can set this setting to “Off” (page 34 of the manual). You may need to reconnect the HDMI cable to the TV and/or restart the TV for these changes to take effect.

Please let us know if changing either of these settings help or not and we can proceed from there.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Hi David and many thanks for getting back to me, unfortunately those didn’t work, I was already using it on monitor and after trying your next thought, HDR is only in the menus if it’s receiving it so there is nothing in the menu. This is rather frustrating and my worst luck probably the tv which I bought to use only as a monitor to edit on… any other ideas??

Phil

Hi Phil, thanks for the reply and understood the frustration. The only variable from a software perspective that I can advise is to ensure that the Nvidia drivers are up to date. The latest driver update can be found here –> https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/147964/en-us.

Otherwise, we’ll want to examine some log files to determine what could be happening as I would expect the GTX 670 to work for 4K@60Hz from the DP output port (based off of the Nvidia specs page –> https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-670/specifications) and it seems you’ve set the proper settings to achieve 4K@60Hz within the TV settings. To help us do so please download and run our diagnostic utility PlugDebug –> http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug with everything connected. Please send us the file to our direct support email address at support@plugable.com with ‘Ticket number 274925’ in the subject line. We’ll match everything up and proceed from there.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Phil, we received the PlugDebug log from your system – thank you for sending this!

Looking at the logs I can see the Philips TV only exposing a maximum 30Hz refresh rate and I do not see 60Hz appear when reading the monitor’s EDID information that is sent to the GPU. Our adapter shouldn’t restrict 60Hz from being delectable so this tells me that something else may be limiting the connection to 30Hz.

Can you confirm that the TV’s firmware is up to date? This can be found by going to Home > Settings > Update software > Search for updates > Internet (Recommended) within the TV’s menu.

Is 60Hz not achievable if the Philips 4K TV is the only connected display to the GTX 670 graphics card?

If the same issue occurs with the Philips TV as the only connected display the next thing we can try is creating a Custom Resolution within the Nvidia Control Panel to see if we can force 4K@60Hz.

Pending that information, the only specs sheet that I have been able to find from EVGA for your specific card is here –> https://www.evga.com/products/specs/gpu.aspx?pn=70FD7D03-C5A5-4114-8AB6-D2D4EC919BE8 where they seem to mention that the max digital resolution achievable is 2560x1600 (via a Dual Link DVI Only), but they make no mention to the capabilities of the DP (or HDMI) port. Of course, you are currently able to achieve higher than 2560x1600 over the DP port. Additionally, the Nvidia specifications page that I sent previously did make mention that UHD at 60Hz is achievable via DP, so I am seeing inconsistent information.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Hi David,

Yes I have tried all of those and still no joy, so not sure what to do
now. I’ll email Philips and EVGA and see if they have anything they can do
about it.

I’ll probably buy a decent hdmi lead too that I know won’t be flakey and
see if that makes a difference but I have tried it with two hdmi
2.0(supposedly) leads and the same happens.

So if no joy on all accounts it’s a new GPU?

Kind regards

Phil

Hi Phil, thanks for the reply and sorry that you’re still unable to achieve 4K@60Hz. With two HDMI 2.0 cables used it does not sound like the cable is the culprit, but I don’t want to rule it out as a possibility.

One last thing we can do specific to the adapter is to make sure that the firmware is up to date. I’ve uploaded a zip file that is available for download here –> https://s3.amazonaws.com/drop.plugable.com/How%20to%20Update%20DP-HDMI%20Rev%20B%20Firmware%20-%20274925.zip and once extracted you should see instructions, the firmware update utility and the latest firmware update file in order to update the adapter’s firmware.

I can’t say if a new GPU would be the resolution here and not something that I could recommend with confidence. I’m hoping EVGA or Philips support has more details that could lead to a solution.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Hi, so the firmware on your adaptor was up to date, I got my new lead and it’s still the same… must be something on the tv I’m sure so I’ll be emailing them today. Many thanks for all you help on this to date, I’ll check back in if and when I get it working… meanwhile if anyone has any ideas please post something up.

Many thanks

Phil

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.