Doesn't turn of off devices such as HDDs - Pluggable 7-port USB 3.0 HUB

Why doesn’t the pluggable 7-port 3.0 hub turn of devices when the laptop/desktop turn off or go in to stand-by mode?

When I have some external hard drives plugged in, and either put my laptop in to stand-by mode or turn it off completely, the hard drives stay running. They should be able to detect when the computer is turned off or put in to stand-by mode.

-Don

Hi Donald,

Thanks for posting your question here, I’ll be happy to help. For some background, the hub itself maintains power whenever it is plugged in to AC power. This means that any devices connected to is will have access to the 5 Volt lines if they choose to use it.

The hub doesn’t control the power states of the devices that are connected to it but it does pass the power state information from the computer to the device. What this means is different for each device and operating system.

If the Operating System can sleep the device, then it should work through the hub. In the case of hard drives, try ejecting them drive before shutting down the system. This should cause the drives to sleep.

Let me know how it goes, and if you are still having the issue with the drives not sleeping let me know some more details about your setup. Send over the operating system and version details, the make and model of your computer and the make and model of devices you are having trouble with and we’ll do our best to get this figured out.

Thanks,
Jerome.

Plugable Technologies

I have the opposite problem.
I have an external mouse and keyboard plugged into my Macbook Pro via the hub, I don’t want the but to go to sleep when I sleep my laptop. It used to work that way but lately when I sleep my laptop the hub goes to sleep at some point later.

I have to unplug the power on the hub to get it to wake back up so that the keyboard and mouse start working.

This is true even if I wake the laptop with it’s keyboard first. Right now I have two HDDs, Keyboard, Mouse and two unused cables (one for a GPS and one for headset) plugged in.

Any ideas on that?

I too have started seeing the problem of the hub not waking. I have an older Mac Pro (USB 2.0 only) running OS X 10.10. It used to work fine, however recently, the hub will power down at some point after the computer goes to sleep. Since my keyboard and mouse go thru the hub (a 7-port USB 3 model), the only way I can get it working again is to unplug the power from the hub and plug it back in. This will cause the hub to power up and all is well.

I have seen a couple of posts about this but they (including this one) are a year old and had no resolution.

Any ideas why this has started happening and what I can do?