Does the USB Display Adaptor support touch screens?

I am running an HP L2105tm Touch screen monitor connected to an HP TouchSMart 600 computer. The touch function is unavailble. Any ideas? ANy help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Riley,

I hadn’t seen this HP product before. Interesting.

Looking at the data sheet: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmis… the monitor has two totally separate interfaces: DVI for the graphics function (as you’d expect), and a separate USB connection for the touch function.

That touch function requires drivers from HP (which they apparently provide with the monitor). You can see some comments from users here: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/…

So, hardware-wise, the graphics and touch functions are completely separate. Separate cable (USB vs. DVI), separate drivers. In theory, it should work the same with the DVI connected to a PCI graphics card, or a USB graphics card. With USB, you’d have two separate USB cables coming from your PC: one to the graphics adapter, and one to the touch screen.

But there still could be a software conflict. In particular, it’s common for touch screen drivers to not account for multiple monitors, and fail in that case - they assume there’s only one screen attached and panic if there’s more than one. If you have HP’s touch drivers installed, and it’s not working, this may be the case.

One thing you could try is to put your two attached screens in mirror mode (using Windows’ display control panel), so they’re showing the same thing at the same resolution. If that works - but it fails in extended mode where the monitors are showing different things - that would be evidence that the HP touch drivers can’t handle multiple monitors.

Let us know what you find out. And you may want to contact HP technical support to ask about whether they support touch in combination with multiple monitors.

Thanks for the question!
Bernie

Bernie,
Thanks for the repsonse. I actually have 3 touch screens. All of the touch screens are working. The only problem is that they all point to one screen, ie., The touch function is working on all 3 monitors but when I touch an extended touch screen, the touch shows up on the primary screen and not the extended screen.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Riley

Issue Solved!!!
I finally got it to work. All 3 of my touch screens are working perfectly. i absolutely love it.

One Mistake: I loaded the drivers for the 2 extended monitors but it promptly crashed my system and it reverted back to its previous settings.

I then went through the calibration procedure found in this article on the MS social.answers.microsoft.com website below.

The last entry by Erik:
“Proposed As Answer byErik Philips Friday, April 02, 2010 12:09 AM”
did the trick.

Here’s the link:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/F…

Thank you for your help,
Riley

Hi Riley,

Great job tracking down the touch driver issue! Glad it’s working!

This is a really interesting application of multiple USB displays with touch on Windows – I’m imagining a separate touch application like surveys or voting, etc. running full-screen on each monitor (having a single input focus may not matter if the applications are just touch buttons, etc.)

If you ever feel like taking some pictures and writing up a little bit about the setup – it’d be cool to have a guest post from you at Plugable.com describing what you’ve done.

Thanks for your Plugable purchase - and glad this interesting setup is working!
Bernie

The link no longer works (social.microsoft.com)

Having the same issue!!

Found the solution under Windows 8.1 with two external Dell touchscreens attached to a UD 3900 which is connected to a touchscreen laptop (Sony Vaio Pro 13)

1. Connect all cables (USB and HDMI/VGA/DVI) - Dell Drivers for the monitors are not required.
  2. Configure the screen layout as you want (Control Panel | Display | Screen Resolution) (I used one external to either side of my laptop screen with the laptop as the main display)
  3. At this point, the displays should all be working, but touchscreen control will only work properly on the laptop.
  4. Go to Control Panel | Tablet PC Settings
  5. On the Display Tab, select the “Setup” button in the Configure Box. This will step you through identifying each monitor as a touchscreen interface. AND YOU’RE DONE!
  6. From the Tablet PC Settings Dialog you can also optionally configure the touch calibration of each screen.