Docking station recommendations for HP Spectre x360 13

Hi,

I’m looking for Docking station recommendations for an HP Spectre x360 13 touch (1ZX32AV_1) and an LG 43” 4K smart tv (UK6300). Thanks!

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thank you for reaching out to us, I am happy to help!

We have not tested this specific model HP Spectre, however based on HP’s specifications this system supports Thunderbolt 3 with DisplayPort 1.2 and Power Delivery support.

This television supports a feature called HDR ( High Dynamic Range ) which is not supported by your system’s Thunderbolt 3/USB-C DisplayPort 1.2 outputs, this may cause the television to have a maximum refresh rate of 30Hz when connected to a docking station or graphics adapter on the Thunderbolt 3 ports. Most current desktop monitors run at 60Hz refresh rate, that is the display is updated sixty times per second, a 30Hz output would only update the display thirty times per second. This is most noticeable when interacting with the display, for instance moving the mouse cursor may appear choppy or seem to lag a bit behind your movements especially if you are accustomed to a 60Hz display, many users will find it hard to work on a display limited to 30Hz. Unfortunately this is a hardware limitation of the graphics output.

Our USB-C Mini Docking Station with 85W Power Delivery ( https://plugable.com/products/ud-cam ) may be a good starting point. This docking station supports one external HDMI display up to 4K resolution at 30Hz refresh rate ( up to 2K resolution at 60Hz refresh rate ). Additionally, this docking station provides four USB 3.0 ports, gigabit Ethernet, and a combined 3.5mm TRRS Stereo headphone and microphone port. On supported systems, this docking station is capable of providing up to 85 watts for powering the host computer and charging the battery.

Our TBT3-UDV Thunderbolt 3 Docking Station with Host Charging ( https://plugable.com/products/tbt3-udv ) may also be a good fit. This docking station supports one external display up to 4K resolution with either DisplayPort or HDMI ( using the included DisplayPort to HDMI adapter ), this HDR television will also be limited to 30Hz refresh rate. Additionally, this docking station has one Thunderbolt 3 Type-C port, five USB 3.0 Type-A ports, gigabit Ethernet, 3.5mm TRRS headset jack. This dock provides 60W to the host computer for powering the system and charging the battery, according to HP the power supply for this model is 65W, this should be fine for powering the system and charging the battery.

Please let me know if this helps, or if you have any additional questions, I am happy to help.

Pat

Great info. Guess I need to figure out another tv option.

Are there any docks Plugable makes that support 60 hz refresh rate?

Hi Tim,

Thanks for asking, the TBT3-UDV Thunderbolt 3 Docking Station does support 4K UHD at 60Hz ( 3840x2160 resolution at 60Hz refresh rate, at 24 bits per pixel ) on non-HDR televisions and 4K desktop monitors. HDR is the ‘big thing’ in televisions right now and most medium to high end televisions are supporting this new feature, some older model televisions without HDR support may be a good fit for using a television as a computer monitor.

Thank you,

Pat

Nice! Assuming this will work with my current setup of the HP Spectre and the LG TV?

Hi Tim,

Sorry for the confusion, the TBT3-UDV is the second docking station I mentioned in my first reply, based on HP’s specifications it is compatible with this system. This LG television with HDR will still be limited to 30Hz refresh rate when used with this computer, regardless of the docking station. This is limited by the DisplayPort version used in the Thunderbolt 3 connection which does not support 4K HDR at 60Hz. Another television without HDR capability or a 4K monitor without HDR can operate at 60Hz ( so long as the display supports 60Hz ).

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Pat

Thank you for the feedback. It complicated things a bit. Now I need to find a compatible tv.

Hi Tim,

Sorry to hear that, unfortunately the HDR televisions have taken off past the common computer outputs and the computer community is playing catch up to the new technologies.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions, I am always happy to help!

Pat

Thanks so very much for your time and insight! Very much appreciated!

Hi Tim,

You’re welcome!

Pat

Any idea if the TBT3-UDV Thunderbolt 3 Docking Station will work with the HP Spectre x360 15” 4hg39av model? If not, can the purchase be refunded? Thanks

Hi Tim,

Thanks for asking!

While we have not tested this specific model HP Notebook, according to HP’s store page this system does support Thunderbolt 3 with DispayPort 1.4 and power delivery and comes with a 135W power supply. The TBT3-UDV Thunderbolt 3 Docking Station ( https://plugable.com/products/tbt3-udv )should fairly well with this system and should be capable of supporting at least one display. The system may support two displays on the Thunderbolt 3 port however this is not specified by HP.

Please note, the docking station is only capable of delivering 60W of power to the host system, this may not be able to power or charge the system under heavy load. I recommend using the HP Spectre’s original power supply with the system while on this docking station.

We provide a 30 day return period with all of our products sold through Amazon.com. If the docking station does not work to your satisfaction please send us an email at ‘support@plugable.com’ including your Amazon Order ID ( available from Amazon.com/orders ) and we can assist in expediting the return process.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you,

Pat.

Hello Tim,

We’re closing this thread due to inactivity, but if you have any further questions please feel free to contact support@plugable.com and we’ll be happy to help.

Thanks,

Pat