Docking Station is causing computer problems

hi, just got my plugable USB 2.0 Universal Laptop Docking Station set up…it keeps messing up my computer…while hooked up, Firefox keeps crashing, and other stuff just seems “slow” and “off”. I just downloaded and installed the driver update (version 5.5 M2), but the same problems still exist. Any ideas?

Running Windows 7 Home Premuim, 64 bit, on a brand new laptop, and linked in to an NEC MultiSync 90GX2.

tx
sean

Hi Sean!

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear you’ve been having problems with our Plugable UD-160-A Docking Station! We’ll get you up and running!

The first thing we’d like you to try is download the latest driver from the DisplayLink web site - the version is 5.6 M1 - it is known to solve some stability issues so it’s definitely worth trying out.

Some questions:
* What is the make/model of your laptop?
* What is the main graphics card make/model?

Please let us know if this helps and we’ll suggest next steps!

Regards,
Lampros

I updated the driver this morning before E-mailing you. I put the wrong info in my E-mail…the driver I installed earlier is the same one you just linked to.

this is my laptop: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product…

the laptop is a Dell Inspiron14R, with Intel HD Graphics 3000

thanks!
sean

Sean,

Thanks for that!
On to the next step: Let’s see if the Aero Troubleshooter finds anything wrong with the system!

To run the Aero troubleshooter on Windows 7, follow the instructions here.

Let us know if the Aero Troubleshooter finds (and if it fixes) anything!

Regards,
Lampros

thanks, but I don’t use Aero, I use windows classic…should I run it anyway?

Sean,

Unfortunately Aero is required by the DisplayLink drivers to work properly. If you run the troubleshooter it will probably say that Aero is disabled and needs to be enabled. Can you try it and see if that solves the problems you are seeing?

Regards,
Lampros

wow, looks like that might have done it…hopefully, I won’t find out this was only temporary.

I don’t love Aero, but I’m sure I’ll get used to it pretty quick.

thanks
sean

Hi Sean!

That’s good news!

Unfortunately Aero is necessary for all DisplayLink products. :frowning: Let us know if the problem comes back or if you need any more help!

Regards,
Lampros