Docking station for windows and mac

Hi Plugable support, I have a windows machine and my spouse has a Mac m2 air and we have 2 monitor setup.
The question i am trying to find an answer to is Can i use a Plugable docking station to connect to two monitors when using a windows machine without having to installing Display link driver as i currently use a Dual HDMI to USB c to connect to two monitors. ? For using two monitors on Mac using plugable i am okay with installing the driver.
Any help would be great. Thank you in advance.

Hi Abdul,

Thanks for contacting Plugable! My name is Sam and I’ll be happy to help with your question.

We do have several dual-monitor docking stations which are compatible with both macOS and Windows.

With a MacBook Air M2 it would be necessary to use a dock based on USB graphics technology such as DisplayLink to connect multiple external displays. This is because the MacBook Air with M2 chip has an internal limitation in that it can only support a single external monitor on its own. This is outlined within the “Display Support” section of the Technical Specifications for the laptop from Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/111867

It would be necessary to install the DisplayLink Manager for a DisplayLink-based dock to work in a Mac, however these docks can work without the need for installing a driver in Windows since Windows Update can often automatically install the driver that’s needed.

In the situation where a dock is being used to connect the two monitors to each computer, the USB-C to dual HDMI adapter you’re currently using to connect the displays to your Windows laptop wouldn’t be needed since the displays would connect through the dock.

Having said all this, I’d be happy to help recommend a docking station which would work best for your setup. To assist with this recommendation, can you please provide a couple additional pieces of information:

• The brand and specific model number of your Windows computer

• The brand and specific model numbers of each of your monitors. This information is usually written on the label on the back of each display

Please let me know if you have any questions as well.

Thank you for giving us the chance to help!

Sam
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.