Dock disconnects randomly

I recently purchased a TBT3-UDZ to work with my Lenovo X1 Extreme, Gen 3 laptop. It is replacing a TBT3-UDC1 docking station due to the higher power it can deliver. While I’m working with the TBT3-UDZ connected to the TB3 port on my laptop, my external monitors will disconnect without warning. It’s almost as if someone has temporarily pulled the power cord on the dock, or disconnected the TB3 cable. I’ve checked all the connections and they are good. I did not experience this issue with my TBT3-UDC1 with this laptop or a smaller Lenovo X13 Yoga, Gen 1 it replaced.

When this occurs, all my applications regroup onto my internal display on my laptop, the ethernet connection is lost and it falls back to wifi. It’s a nuisance and something I wouldn’t have expected given the difference in price between the TBT3-UDZ and the TBT3-UDC1 it replaced.

Please advise,
Shawn

Hello Shawn,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

We have a troubleshooting tool that helps us find out what is going on in situations like this. Please plug the dock with your devices attached to it into your computer, then go to this page and follow the instructions there:

http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug

Please mention ticket 325534 in your email with the diagnostics.

Can you also confirm if you’re using the Thunderbolt 3 cable that this dock shipped with? Also, as a test, do you still have the old TBT3 cable that you were using with your old TBT3-UDC1 dock? I’d be curious to see if the issue still occurs when swapping out the cable.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry

Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.