Do I understand or am I truly baffled?

Just to be sure I understand: re: the USB 2.0 10 Port Hub (with Power Adapter)

I also have an iMac using OS 10.6.8. The hub does not shut down when I put the Mac in sleep mode. The hub is not powered (unplugged) any anything connected is turned off.

I have to shut down the Mac to turn the hub off. I’m wondering- is it a problem to leave the hub on while in sleep mode? Is it okay to pull the usb connection either at the Mac or the hub before going into sleep mode? Is there no other way to get it to sleep (glow strip off) without shutting down the Mac or pulling the usb connection?

An on/off switch would certainly be useful.

Thanks for any help.
-robanon176

Hi Robanon,

Thanks for posting! About leaving the Hub on when the Mac is in sleep mode, there would be no problem at all even though the blue LED bar would stay lit. Here’s why-:

The Blue LED bar on the Hub stays lit when it receives power from either the power adapter or from the upstream system (the iMac in this case).

When the iMac is in sleep mode it still provides some power through USB so that it can power USB devices like the mouse which can be used to wake the OS from sleep. This power is enough for the Blue LED Bar on the Hub to light up.

As this behavior is totally expected, there would be no issues caused to the hub or the attached devices. Unplugging the Hub from the Mac before it goes to the sleep mode would turn off the blue LED bar and would also not cause any issues to either the hub or the attached devices.

If you are interested here is a link to an article that describes the various sleep modes and how to change the sleep mode settings

http://www.macworld.com/article/53471…

Hope the above information helps! If you need additional information, feel free to post back here or to shoot us an email at support@plugable.com. We are here to help!

Regards,
Roze

Thanks for the help- and full explanation. While an on/off switch would make it perfect; the hub has really cleaned up my desktop of cables, and a small strip of blue light is a small price to pay.

Appreciate the help and the link/reference to that article.

Best regards,
robanon176