Do I need the docking station AND my computer cord?

I have a DisplayLink docking station. I’ve plugged in my laptop, and the USB for the mouse is working, but it isn’t charging my laptop. I bought it so I wouldn’t have to unplug the laptop cord back and forth. I’m not required to plug in my laptop also, am I?

Hi Marjorie,

Thanks for posting here! No, USB laptop docking stations can’t charge laptops, so you’ll definitely still need that laptop’s power supply whenever you dock and want to charge at the same time. Sorry about that!

If you are interested, here is some background on why:

Every laptop can have a different type of physical power connector and adapter specs - so there isn’t a way to create a completely universal charger. And for a USB connection, power for charging goes from your laptop to the USB devices you connect, but not in the other direction. So any power heading back to the laptop would have to be on its own special cable.

Product Quality and Customer Satisfaction is top priority for us. We never ever want customers stuck with products that are not right for them. If you did buy the Dock hoping to charge your laptop through it, then this is not the right product for you. We recommend you return the product for a refund, since this product will never be able to provide that functionality.

If you ever need any help or information regarding any of our products, please do feel free to shoot us an email at support@plugable.com. We are here to help!

Regards,
Roze