DisplayPort Monitors Not Being Detected

Equipment-
Laptop: Macbook Pro 16" 2019
Dock: Plugable UD-ULTC4K
Monitors: Asus VG27AQ (3 of these)

Setup Description-
I’m connecting from the laptop to the dock using the provided USB-C cable. One of the monitors is connected via the dock’s HDMI port. The other two are connected using the dock’s DisplayPort ports. All are using standard cables, no adapters are being used. I have DisplayLink Manager 1.4.0 installed and running on my macbook.

Problem-
Both monitors connected via DisplayPort are not being detected by the laptop.

Troubleshooting I’ve tried-
1.) Switching out DisplayPort cables
2.) Power cycling ALL involved devices
3.) Quitting and restarting DisplayLink Manager
4.) Reconnecting ALL cables involved
5.) Connecting to a single monitor at a time using DisplayPort
6.) Using “Detect Monitors” button in the Mac “Displays” panel

The best result I’ve had is one of the DisplayPort monitors coming up one time. But after power cycling, it again stopped working. Please let me know what I can do to get this to work, this is all brand new equipment.

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us, I am sorry this is not working as expected and I am happy to help!

These displays have NVIDIA G-Sync technology, this is a NVIDIA chipset that sits between the DisplayPort input and the LCD controller in the monitors themselves and may be interrupting the connection to the docking station. I recommend we start by updating to DisplayLink Manager 1.5 to take advantage of the latest bug fixes and compatibility improvements in the DisplayLink software and to see if this helps to resolve the connectivity issues with these displays.

To fully remove the current DisplayLink manager 1.4 please perform the following:

1. Open the Applications window (Finder > Go > Applications)
  2. Run the “DisplayLink Software Uninstaller” and follow the on screen instructions
  3. Restart the computer (Apple Menu > Restart)
  4. Download and install the latest DisplayLink Manager App (currently version 1.5) following our detailed installation instructions here (https://kb.plugable.com/questions/799275)

Please let me know if updating to the DisplayLink Manager 1.5 helps to enable both of the DisplayPort connected displays.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Thank you for the prompt response! I followed these steps and installed DisplayLink manager 1.5, but unfortunately the problem is persisting.

Is it possible that disabling GSync on the monitors connected via DisplayPort could be helpful?

That seemed to work! Thanks for bringing my attention to the G-Sync feature. All three monitors are up and working great as of now. Hopefully it persists. Will let you know if anything changes.

Hi,

Thank you for letting me know that disabling G-Sync has helped, not all displays have this option.

G-Sync is not part of the DisplayPort specification, instead relying on an in-line chipset between the port and the LCD controller. Active-Sync, a competitor to G-Sync as incorporated into the DisplayPort standard and does not utilize a separate chipset. Displays either without G-Sync, or with Active-Sync are generally more compatible with DisplayLink docking stations and USB graphics adapters.

I am going to go ahead and mark this post as closed, please feel free to start a new thread or contact our support team directly (support@plugable.com) if you have any additional questions, and have a great day!

Pat
Plugable Technology

1 Like