DisplayPort Monitors are flickering and causing instability

Hi There,

I’ve had my UD-ULTC4K for close to 2 years after a warranty replacement for similar issues.

The issues I am now again having are my DisplayPort-connected monitors (2) flickering and causing both my laptop and HDMI-connected screen (1) to also flicker and change screen orientation.

This is happening with more consistency on both my Dell XPS13 and MacBook, both of which are connected via Thunderbolt/USB-C making the dock is unusable. A restart usually buys me 1-2 hours for a consistent, expected working dock state.

Unsuccessful Troubleshooting Steps

• Clean install of DisplayPort drivers - I have followed the instructions to clean any installation of DisplayPort drivers and reset the docking station on both PC and MAC

• Purchased TBT3-40G80CM - Was thinking there was some random bandwidth issue. Nope, issues persist. Prior to this 11/19/22 purchase, I was using your OEM USB-C host 10Gbps cable

• Changed DisplayPort cords and adapters (same with HDMI cord) - I have x2 OEM ‎DP-HDMI ports from a 4/5/21 purchase. Additionally I purchased 3rd party options, all unsuccessful.

Do you have any suggestions? I’m hoping for a quick resolution.

Hello Bryan,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

Thank you for having proactively tried the DisplayLink USB graphics driver clean install and for having tested another cable. I’m sorry these steps haven’t helped.

Flickering issues are certainly not expected, but what I found more strange is that you have observed the screen orientation also changing. It could indicate the dock is losing a connection to the display(s) momentarily and the system has to reset the attached displays.

Since this is happening across two computers it could indicate a hardware problem with the dock. With that said we’ve also seen some issues like this happen if the displays are running at a higher refresh rate than the dock can support (maximum 60Hz) or if technologies such as HDR or variable refresh rate/adaptive sync are enabled within the attached display(s) on screen settings (this would be dependent upon your display(s) specifications).

Assuming that the displays are properly set to 60Hz and that no HDR or other settings are enabled that would be causing dock instability then we should likely proceed with a pretested (known-good) replacement dock under warranty.

Please send us a direct email to support@plugable.com with the following information (do not post it here!), mentioning ticket #395793 in the subject line:

1. Amazon order ID number or other proof of purchase
  2. Serial number off the bottom of the dock
  3. Best shipping address

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry
Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.