Displaylink not working on Macbook pro mid 2012 model after updating to Mojave 10.14

Hi,

I recently updated my macOS to mojave 10.14 on macbook pro mid 2012 model. Monitor extending was working fine with High Sierra but now it has stopped working after updating.

I have already installed the latest driver 5.0.1. Could you please suggest how could I make it work?

Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us, I am sorry this is not working after the OS update.

While we do not currently support MacOS on any of our USB docking stations or graphics adapters, there may be an easy fix to restore functionality with the new driver.

After downloading and launching the “DisplayLink USB Graphics Software for macOS 5.0.1.dmg” file select the “DisplayLink Software Uninstaller” from the DisplayLink Installer application. This will remove previous DisplayLink drivers an data from the system that may be interfering with the new driver. The system will need to restart to complete this software removal.

When completed and booted back to the desktop, please disconnect the Plugable docking station and start the installation again, this time selecting “DisplayLink Software Installer.pkg”, again the system will restart and when back at the desktop please reconnect the docking station to see if this has resolved the issue.

Please let me know if this helps.

Hi Pat,

Thanks for replying.

I did this multiple times earlier. Uninstalled the previous driver and then installed the new driver. Then:

• restarted the docking station
  • restarted macbook
  • Connected displaylink to macbook but it’s still not working.

Is there any way of debugging as what might be going wrong? because it was working with the earlier OS version.

Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for letting me know that the installation did not get the external displays working.

The next thing to check are security settings in MacOS. By default MacOS will attempt to block software from 3rd party developers unless specifically allowed, normally the system will prompt to allow the blocked software however we have had many reports of the drivers being silently blocked.

To see if the DisplayLink software is being block, please open the Security & Privacy panel ( Finder > Go > Applications > System Preferences > Security & Privacy ):

1. On the General Tab under the horizontal role check that “Allow apps downloaded from:” is set to “App Store and identified developers” changing this setting requires administrative privileges
  2. If available, select the Allow button next to "System software from developer “DisplayLink” was blocked from loading.
  • Please note, this options normally only appears for about half an hour after installing the software and before restarting the computer. If nothing shows up here either the software has been allowed or is being silently blocked. Removing and reinstalling the DisplayLink driver should cause this prompt to reappear if it s being blocked.
  1. Select the Privacy tab, from the left column select “Accessibility”. Please make sure the “DisplayLinkUserAgent” is checked to “Allow the apps below to control your computer”.

We can use the terminal to verify the DisplayLink driver is loaded by performing the following:

1. Open a terminal (Finder > Go > Utilities > Terminal)
  2. Enter the following command, excluding the quotes: “kextstat | grep -i displaylink” followed by the enter key to execute the command
  3. This should output a line of text containing “com.displaylink.driver.DisplayLinkDriver” if the driver loaded, if nothing is output then the DisplayLink driver is not being loaded and is most likely being blocked by Gatekeeper.

Please let me know if changing the Security & Privacy settings helps, or if the DisplayLink driver is being loaded from the terminal command and we can go from there.

Thank you,

Hello,

We’re closing this thread due to inactivity, but if you have any further questions please feel free to contact support@plugable.com and we’ll be happy to help.

Thanks,